Senior Management Team
Find out about the management team at the West Yorkshire Combined Authority and their responsibilities.
Head of Finance
- Lead the finance team in supporting and enabling achievement of organisational objectives.
- Ensure financial and budgetary systems and processes are robust and adaptable to change and improvement
- Lead on the integration of corporate planning with financial planning to ensure the most effective use of resources.
- Develop and drive changes in financial processes and systems to improve the performance of the team and the organisation.
- Take a key role in managing all financial aspects of the business activities of the Combined Authority, ensuring financial controls and procedures are produced and adhered to.
- Ensure the provision of appropriate commercial and financial advice on projects, grants and loans as required.
Head of HR
- To develop, lead implementation and drive through the HR strategy which is intrinsically linked to the organisations effectiveness and key corporate objectives.
- Be the strategic HR Lead who will champion and lead an efficient and quality HR Service in all aspects of people management and workforce development, ensuring ROI and a value added service delivery.
- To provide strategic professional HR advice and guidance to the Leadership Team and all managers of the organisation.
- To champion the organisation’s culture, values and behaviours, embedding them through every process, policy and procedure wherever possible.
Head of ICT Services
- Overall head of ICT Services, leading the ICT department, responsible for developing an ICT strategy which delivers transformational technological solutions across the organisation. Works with other public sector organisations to influence, develop and implement regional solutions where appropriate.
- Responsible for all business as usual ICT Services and the specification, development, implementation and maintenance of new ICT systems and services.
- Shape and deliver the objectives of your function to support WYCA in achieving its vision.
Head of Internal Audit
- Be the Chief Audit Executive for the West Yorkshire Combined Authority providing high quality assurance, advice and opinion to develop internal control, risk management, corporate governance and counter-fraud arrangements.
- Lead the Internal Audit function for the West Yorkshire Combined Authority working in partnership with the Governance & Audit Committee and Leadership Team to shape and develop assurance on the internal control, risk management and corporate governance arrangements to support the achievement of corporate objectives.
- Be the Combined Authority’s Responsible Officer - this is the person, appointed with overall responsibility for maintaining and operating the whistleblowing policy, being the nominated contact for reported incidents and the money laundering reporting officer.
Head of Legal and Governance Services
- Be the senior legal officer and statutory Monitoring Officer of West Yorkshire Combined Authority (WYCA), providing high quality legal advice to a range of stakeholders.
- Lead the Legal and Democratic Services Department to achieve strategic objectives.
Head of Procurement
- Shape, lead and manage the procurement function to support and enable achievement of organisational strategic objectives. Manage all procurement aspects of the CA’s business activity ensuring procurement regulations, controls and procedures are produced and adhered to.
- Lead on, and continually develop, the procurement strategy, procurement policies and procurement delivery for the organisation.
- Develop and drive change and improvement in procurement governance, processes and systems to improve the performance of the team and the organisation.
Head of Feasibility and Assurance
- Provide leadership on the eligibility and feasibility of programmes/projects ensuring the CA selects the right initiatives; provides assurance through the development process; and guarantees a pipeline of deliverable schemes.
- Build and maintain partnerships with constituent authorities, businesses, government and other public organisations.
- Lead the Feasibility and Assurance function to provide the CA and partner organisations, with support on Programme/Project viability and reassurance of scheme alignment with the relevant criteria to achieve benefits which support policy objectives.
Head of Implementation
- Lead the delivery and capability of programme/project management at the CA including direct management of internal project teams and of project managers assigned to partners.
- Provide leadership on the implementation of programmes and projects, ensuring the CA delivers the right initiatives within the agreed constraints and maximises value and guarantees the benefits.
- Lead the delivery of policy outcomes working in partnership with constituent authorities, businesses, government and other public organisations.
Head of Portfolio Management Office
- Provide leadership on strategic portfolio selection advice, ensuring the CA invests in the right initiatives; implements them correctly; and ensures benefits realisation
- Lead the ownership, delivery of effective and efficient embedding of Portfolio Management Office (PMO) services in partnership with constituent authorities, businesses, government and other public organisations.
- Lead the PMO to provide the Leadership Team with an oversight of performance against the portfolio across the CA and partners. Responsible for the compliance and assurance of the portfolio and ownership of the governance and gateway processes.
Head of Business Support
- Responsible for the leading, planning, delivery and strategic development of services and programmes that support the growth of businesses, including the growth service, strategic growth programme, business grant programme, resource efficiency fund, SME innovation programme, travel plan network and a number of European-funded projects to support firms with access to finance and early-stage growth productivity improvements.
- Take the lead role for the development and implementation of business support programmes, including influential partnership working with a wide range of key policy-makers and influencers, including the LEP Board and Panel Members, local authorities, senior Government officials, universities and the private sector, with a particular focus on Inclusive Growth and productivity improvements.
- Work with Policy and Strategy to continually identify opportunities to secure additional income for the West Yorkshire Combined Authority (the CA) in direct alignment with strategic priorities, particularly related to Inclusive Growth and productivity improvements, and prepares robust and compelling delivery models– with buy-in from a range of senior decision-makers - to secure multi-million pound funding agreements.
Head of Employment and Skills
- Responsible for the leading, planning, delivery and strategic development of services and programmes that support employment and skills for the benefit of businesses, individuals and communities in the region.
- Takes the lead role for the development and implementation of employment and skills programmes, including influential partnership working with a wide range of key policy-makers and influencers, including the LEP Board and Panel Members, local authorities, senior Government officials, schools, colleges, universities and the private sector, with a particular focus on Inclusive Growth and productivity improvements.
- Works with Policy and Strategy, to continually identify opportunities to secure additional income for the West Yorkshire Combined Authority (the CA) in direct alignment with strategic priorities, particularly related to Inclusive Growth and productivity improvements, and designs robust and compelling delivery models – with buy-in from a range of senior decision-makers - to secure multi-million pound funding agreements.
Head of Trade and Investment
- As a key ambassador and senior representative for the Leeds City Region Enterprise Partnership (LEP) and West Yorkshire Combined Authority responsible for the planning, delivery, negotiation and strategic development of inward investment, investor development and international trade, ensuring alignment with the Strategic Economic Plan (SEP), Inclusive Industrial Strategy and Combined Authority priorities.
- Shape and influence pan-northern and national inward investment and trade developments, including the Northern Powerhouse Trade & Investment Forum.
- To have a key role providing visible strategic leadership, influencing and orchestrating the wider ‘eco-system’ of specialist expertise from businesses, local authorities, professional networks, universities and intermediaries, operating with clients and partners at CEO level.
Policy, Strategy and Communications
Head of Economic Policy
- Responsible for the leading, planning, delivery and strategic development of the city region’s Strategic Economic Plan (SEP), emerging Policy Framework and managing the Policy Team, championing the core values and position at the heart of a partnership of constituent authorities, businesses, government and other public organisations.
- Ensure the Combined Authority (CA) and its partners have strong policy foundations to transform economic and social outcomes for residents and businesses across West Yorkshire and the Leeds City Region, with a particular focus on Inclusive Growth.
Head of Partnerships, Communications and Engagement
- Establish and enhance the effective working of regional & national partnerships through being the Combined Authority’s lead on the development of wider ad-hoc partnerships throughout the Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) and the Leeds City Region, influencing and engaging audiences at all levels and with all channels to achieve the strategic aims for the region.
- Lead and manage the communications and marketing function to provide strategic leadership for all influencing, marketing, partnership, engagement and communications activities, ensuring there is an effective, consistent approach to promoting the Authority’s activities both nationally and locally, enhancing its reputation and its engagement with the public, other stakeholders & partners over the longer term, Including national governments, senior business people and organisations and the public more widely.
- Ensure deep partnership relationships are established and maintained between city region and wider partner organisations, leading to faster and more effective strategic decision making.
Head of Research & Intelligence
- Responsible for the research and intelligence capacity of the West Yorkshire Combined Authority (WYCA), including the commissioning of research, data analysis and forecasting, economic evidence and evaluation, and its effective use in developing economic and transport strategies.
Head of Transport Policy
- Responsible for the planning, delivery and strategic development of transport policy and strategy, ensuring alignment with the Strategic Economic Plan (SEP) and other policies. Shape and influence pan-northern and national transport developments.
- Be a key advocate and representative for the West Yorkshire Combined Authority (WYCA), leading transport thinking on a national stage, being a visible leader for the organisation and city region both internally and externally with partners.
Head of Customer Services
- Be the customer champion for the Combined Authority ensuring positive interaction with customers across all services
- Ensure that West Yorkshire Combined Authority meets or exceed expectations in relation to the services it provides to transport users.
- Lead transformational change in the way in which the Combined Authority delivers services to the people of the region.
Head of Mobility Services
- Lead West Yorkshire Combined Authority’s interventions in local transport services including the direct procurement of transport services and influencing the provision of commercial and third party funded mobility services.
- Lead for the Combined Authority on the delivery of joint commitments made in partnership with transport providers including bus voluntary partnerships
- Lead transformational change in the way in which the Combined Authority facilitates the mobility of people in the region
- Provide expert advice to the West Yorkshire Combined Authority on public transport commercial and operational matters.
Head of Assets
- Provide technical leadership to strategically develop, manage and maintain the Authority’s complete infrastructure, property and land portfolio ensuring that its asset value meets its full development potential
- Advise the Combined Authority on matters relating to asset purchase and development
- Develop and implement strategies to improve safety and the customer experience at all Combined Authority managed sites including multi-use bus stations
- Lead the Assets team to develop strategies designed to deliver changes in operational processes and systems to improve customer service, operational delivery and enhance asset value.