LEP Chair appointed to government advisory group on future of inward investment
Roger Marsh OBE DL appointed to government expert panel focused on maintaining the UK's attractiveness for inward investment.
The chair of the Leeds City Region Enterprise Partnership (LEP), Roger Marsh OBE DL, has been appointed to a key panel advising the government on its future trade negotiations.
As the UK’s international trading relations change, the Department for International Trade has created a series of Trade Advisory Groups (TAGs) on key sectors vital to the UK economy.
Roger Marsh will sit on the investment TAG, alongside business leaders, economists and other experts, providing strategic and technical expertise, focused on maintaining the UK's attractiveness for inward investment from overseas.
Roger Marsh OBE DL, chair of the Leeds City Region Enterprise Partnership and the NP11 group of Northern local enterprise partnerships, said: “Britain has a long and proud history of carving innovative ways forward and creative responses to crises and changing landscapes and I applaud the forming of the Trade Advisory Groups at this absolutely critical time. It will be inspiring for these groups to work together to navigate new territories at home and abroad; to nurture and drive forward entrepreneurial approaches and to foster the expertise we have at our disposal to make the most of new opportunities.
“It is with pleasure that I find myself alongside the TAG members selected in this list, working with the Government. It is vital for the future of the UK’s trading relationships that we recognise the strengths of each and every region, and I believe strongly that Leeds City Region is uniquely qualified to progress policy objectives that will benefit the entire national economy.”
Members have been selected on the basis that they are able to provide the relevant understanding, insight and expertise necessary to support the Department for International Trade as it seeks to establish new free trade agreements,
Roger Marsh’s inclusion on the investment TAG is a recognition of Leeds City Region’s strong performance in attracting inward investment, and the personal role he has played in helping to make this happen. In 2019/20 Leeds City Region increased its levels of foreign direct investment and attracted 65 successful projects, creating 1,595 new jobs and safeguarding 663, making it one of the most successful regions for attracting investment in the UK. Roger Marsh has also played a pivotal role in attracting high-profile employers such as Channel 4 and Burberry to choose to establish themselves in Leeds City Region.
The Department for International Trade has created 11 new Trade Advisory Groups (TAGs), covering Agri-Food; Automotive, Aerospace and Marine; British Manufacturing and Consumer Goods; Investment; Life Sciences; Tech and Telecoms; Chemicals; Financial Services; Professional Advisory Services; Transport Services; and Creative Industries.
The members of the investment TAG are:
- Damian Nussbaum, Director, Economic Development, City of London Corporation
- Christian Salbaing, Deputy Chairman, Europe, Hutchison Whampoa, CK Hutchison
- Mark Gregory, Chief Economist, EY LLP
- Gavin Davies, Head, Global M&A Practice, Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
- Jonathan Haskel, Professor of Economics, Imperial College Business School and Member, Bank of England Monetary Policy Committee
- Rose Mary Stalker, Chair, Invest Northern Ireland
- Roger Marsh, Chair, Leeds City Region LEP, NP11, LEP Network
- Jeremy Long, Chief Executive Officer, MTR Europe and Chairman OxLEP
- Jim Wilkinson, Interim Chief Executive Officer and Chief Financial Officer, Oxford Sciences Innovation
- Keith Anderson, Chief Executive Officer, Scottish Power
- Tim Jones, Executive Director Tata Limited
- Joakim Reiter, Group External Affairs Director, Vodafone