Independent persons vacancy
Two vacancies for &#39;independent person&#39; in a Code of Conduct role
West Yorkshire Combined Authority (WYCA) wants to appoint two �Independent Persons�.
The Localism Act 2011 requires WYCA to put in place arrangements to promote and maintain high standards of conduct among its members. These include the appointment of at least one Independent Person and a procedure for dealing with complaints about potential failures to comply with the Authority�s Code of Conduct.
There are two positions to fill. Each appointment will start from Thursday 25 June 2015 and each attracts a small remuneration.
If you would like to apply please complete and return an application form (Word doc, 93k � opens in a new window). �
The closing date for receipt of applications is Friday 8 May 2015.
The responsibilities of the Independent Persons will include:
- To assist the Authority in promoting high standards of conduct by members and co-opted members.
- To be consulted by the Authority�s Monitoring Officer before a decision is made following the investigation of a complaint.
- To promote and maintain high standards of member conduct.
- Being available for members of the Authority to provide a view on conduct issues.
The Independent Person should:
- Be a Council Tax payer of one of the five West Yorkshire District Council�s or the City of York Council.
- Have an interest in Local Government.
- Have the ability to be objective and impartial.
- Have an understanding of confidentiality requirements.
- Have political awareness.
The Independent Person cannot at the time of appointment be or have been:
- A member or co-opted member of the WYCA, the former WYITA or any of the five West Yorkshire Councils or City of York Council in the previous 5 years.
- An officer or employee of the WYCA, Metro, the former WYITA or any of the five West Yorkshire Councils or City of York Council in the previous 5 years.
- A close relative of any of the above.
- A member of, or affiliated with, any political party.