Mirfield to Dewsbury to Leeds (M2D2L) Transport Scheme Consultation
Kirklees Council and Leeds City Council, in partnership with the West Yorkshire Combined Authority, are developing an initial scheme for the A644 and A653 routes between Mirfield – Dewsbury – Leeds, that aims to improve travel opportunities, reliability and the local environment.
The scheme will help to promote access to jobs, education and services, and improvements in public health and includes new cycle tracks, new pedestrian crossings and footway improvements, bus lanes and bus super-stops (upgraded bus stops), junction upgrades, and other highway space adjustments.
We would like to hear your views on the proposed improvements and would particularly like your feedback on the proposals to:
- Improve walking and cycling facilities
- Enhance bus lanes and facilities to improve bus reliability
- Upgrade junctions to improve congestion
- Improve landscaping
- Improve air quality
The roads in question are key transport routes through areas of north Kirklees and south Leeds that are the focus of significant planned housing and economic growth over the next 10-15 years. Proposals for several major development sites are being worked up and will be brought forward / built at different speeds. It is important to recognise that the proposals being consulted on now for the Mirfield-Dewsbury-Leeds (Phase 1) project represent one stage of a longer term programme of transport investment into the area that will include:
- Alterations to road junctions to provide access to new development sites, often in phases
- Investment into the Transpennine rail network and stations, for example, through
the Transpennine Route
- Upgrades at Mirfield, Ravensthorpe and Dewsbury stations and on the railway lines
- Transforming Cities Fund (TCF) projects, particularly in and around Dewsbury (projects for
Dewsbury Bus Station and Halifax Rd-Bradford Rd-Ring Road Junction will be publicly consulted
on in winter 2020/spring 2021 as part of the TCF programme). For more information
click here(External link) (open in a new tab)
- Future phases of the Mirfield-Dewsbury-Leeds scheme, subject to new funding
- Exploration and assessment of strategic highway scheme options in North Kirklees to relieve
pressure on existing roads and communities, and to support growth.
This consultation will help inform which proposals form the proposed £13 million scheme, which is to be funded with £12.5 million through the West Yorkshire plus Transport Fund and £500,000 of Section 106 funding. Subject to consultation feedback, the list of design options will be reviewed and shortlisted and work on the final scheme could start in early 2022. Future proposals (subject to funding) along the corridor will consider improvements at other sections of the route.
Via our Q&A tool: Submit your questions below
Via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Via telephone: 0113 245 7676 (Metroline)
Via post: Freepost CONSULTATION TEAM (WYCA)