Flood Risk Management
Enhanced flood resilience for homes, businesses and critical infrastructure.
Flood Risk Management infrastructure delivered in partnership to support catchment wide measures providing enhanced flood resilience to homes, businesses and critical infrastructure.
What success will look like
Integrating flood risk management and environmental resilience into all infrastructure investment to support our carbon reduction objectives, address the climate emergency, whilst enabling clean economic growth across West Yorkshire.
Reduction of flood risk to key infrastructure, businesses and homes reducing the overall economic loss to the local economy resulting from flood events.
Positive engagement with national government and other potential funders to address the capital funding gaps for priority Flood Risk Management (FRM) projects are addressed and the 27 Priority FRM schemes are delivered across West Yorkshire to meet the needs of our communities.
Strong partnership working and relationships with the Environment Agency, local authority partners, Yorkshire Water, the Regional Yorkshire and Humber Flood and Coastal Committee and other key partners which delivers integrated flood risk management schemes and works together identification of new priorities/schemes in the future.
- Strong and well developed partnerships in place to deliver complex schemes.
- Positive track record of delivering schemes at pace and on time.
- Complex capital schemes requiring a range of partner input makes delivery resource intensive.
- Significant funding gap for priority FRM schemes and the wider 2021-26 West Yorkshire pipeline of schemes.
- The climate emergency and increased flooding across West Yorkshire.
Policies and strategies
- National Flood and Coastal Erosion Risk Management Strategy for England (2020)
- Leeds City Region Flood Review (2016)
- Leeds City Region Sustainable Drainage System Guidance Document (2020)
- Leeds City Region Green and Blue Infrastructure Strategy (2018) and Delivery Plan (2018). Runs to 2036. (Plan on a Page Version)