To increase business innovation across West Yorkshire
For Leeds City Region to be ‘A place that is globally recognised for developing an open, inclusive, thriving and coherent innovation ecosystem, where SMEs, budding entrepreneurs and individuals are inspired to innovate, and can easily navigate the support landscape and connect and collaborate with others to create new and better solutions for business growth and societal good’.
What success will look like
- More innovation led businesses doing more ‘high end’ R&D and innovation
- More businesses reaping the benefits of existing innovations, whether those are new management practices or adoption of new technology to stimulate further innovative activity and behaviours
- More diversity in innovation
- Health tech
- Large number of firms self-identifying as innovation active
- Above average R&D spend by HEI sector
- Large HEI base and innovation support network
- Low R&D investment by businesses
- Low levels of interaction between academia and business
- No OEMs to drive innovation through supply chains
- Low take up of innovation support
- Reactive rather than strategic innovation
Policies and strategies
Who’s helping make this happen
- West Yorkshire Innovation Network
- Innovate UK
- Yorkshire Universities
- RTC North
- University of Huddersfield
- Bradford University
- Leeds University
- Leeds Beckett
- York University
- York St John
What we are doing to make this happen
- Connecting Innovation is the LEP/CAs flagship programme to connect the offer and simply the innovation support landscape
- WYIN will bring together all key partners to identify more effective ways of joining up activity and supporting business innovation
- Working through and with NP11 to identify pan northern innovation opportunities for collaboration.
How this will meet our priorities
- Innovation is key to increasing productivity. Doing things smarter, faster and differently.
Tackling the climate emergency:
- Innovation, and the creation of new and novel products, processes and services will be key to addressing our biggest zero carbon challenges.
- In taking a mission based approach to innovation, as an organisation will focus particular efforts on those interventions which have the biggest potential societal impact on the clean growth agenda, particularly in those areas where our research expertise excels.
Enabling inclusive growth:
- With the right approach and interventions, our innovation aspirations can have a significant impact on our inclusive growth aspirations, engaging a more diverse population from an early age to engage with innovation/entrepreneurialism.
- Through our mission led innovation challenges we must engage with a broader range of people to both set those missions and seek solutions – to ensure that innovations benefits and are of relevance to a diverse population (not innovations delivered by the minority for the majority).
Page last updated: 30/04/21