To increase business innovation across West Yorkshire
To increase business innovation across West Yorkshire.
What success will look like
Increased business innovation through increased collaboration, R&D investment and leadership and management support.
An Innovation Framework is in development and specific measures will be further developed through this process.
- Health tech, digital health and AI strengths
- Large number of firms self-identifying as innovation active
- Above average R&D spend by HEI sector
- Low R&D investment by businesses
- Low levels of interaction between academia and business
- No OEMs to drive innovation through supply chains
- Low take up of innovation support
- Reactive rather than strategic innovation
What we are doing to make this happen
Connecting Innovation is the LEP/CAs flagship programme to connect the offer and simply the innovation support landscape
West Yorkshire Innovation Network will be delivered through Connecting Innovation, bringing together all key partners
How this will meet our priorities
- Innovation is key to increasing productivity. Doing things smarter, faster and differently.
Tackling the climate emergency:
- Innovation, and the creation of new and novel products, processes and services will be key to addressing our biggest zero carbon challenges.
- In taking a mission based approach to innovation, as an organisation will focus particular efforts on those interventions which have the biggest potential societal impact on the clean growth agenda, particularly in those areas where our research expertise excels
Enabling inclusive growth:
- With the right approach and interventions, our innovation aspirations can have a significant impact on our inclusive growth aspirations, engaging a more diverse population from an early age to engage with innovation/ entrepreneurialism.
- Through our mission led innovation challenges we must engage with a broader range of people to both set those missions and seek solutions – to ensure that innovations benefits and are of relevance to a diverse population (not innovations delivered by the minority for the majority).
Page last updated: 26/08/20