With specific powers on transport, housing, regeneration, finance and policing, the Mayor will work with the Mayoral Combined Authority, council leaders, business representatives and partners for the benefit of the region.
About our new Mayor
Tracy Brabin was elected the first Mayor of West Yorkshire on 9 May 2021. Tracy was previously elected as the Member of Parliament for Batley and Spen in 2016, representing her hometown and the area where many of her family still live.
Prior to being elected to Parliament, Tracy worked in the entertainment industry for three decades, appearing in popular television drama including Coronation Street and Emmerdale as well as writing for both Hollyoaks and Shameless. She was also an active political campaigner.
Watch the latest news from our Mayor
The Mayor's 10 pledges
- Create 1,000 well paid, skilled jobs for young people.
- Prioritise skills and training to ensure everyone in West Yorkshire has the skills they need to secure work.
- Support local businesses and be champion for our regional economy.
- Lead a Creative New Deal to ensure our creative industries are part of the broader recovery strategy.
- Appoint an Inclusivity Champion to work to ensure that the region’s recovery benefits us all.
- Recruit 750 more frontline police officers and staff to fight crime.
- Put keeping women and girls safe at the heart of my policing plan.
- Bring buses back under public control, introduce simpler fares, contactless ticketing and greener buses.
- Build 5000 sustainable homes including council houses and affordable homes
- Tackle the climate emergency and protect our environment.
Learn more about the Mayor's role and devolution
The Mayor has a number of specific powers. Find out what they are and how they fit with partner councils and The LEP.
The devolution dealRead how the devolution deal sets out the new powers, funding and responsibilities which will be transferred from central Government to West Yorkshire.
FAQsRead our most frequently asked questions about being a Mayoral Combined Authority.
Devolution is our opportunity to make West Yorkshire an even better place to live, work, study, raise a family, start a business and grow old. Whether you voted for me or any of the other candidates, I will work every single day to make our region even better for you and your family.
Read the latest news from the Mayor
Mayor of West Yorkshire backs day of action on climate emergency
Unions in West Yorkshire are joining others around the globe to press for urgent action to fight climate change.
Mayor of West Yorkshire endorses £17million fund to support over 7000 adult learners across West Yorkshire
Tracy Brabin, Mayor of West Yorkshire met with students and teaching staff at Leeds City College Quarry Hill Campus this week, to mark a £17million Grant funding allocation between West Yorkshire Combined Authority and Luminate Education Group.
Stourton Park and Ride officially opened
Stourton park and ride has been officially opened by the Mayor of West Yorkshire, Tracy Brabin and the Minister for future of transport and environment, Minister Rachel Maclean MP.