One Yorkshire's place in a post-Brexit economy to be discussed at conference
21 February 2019
A major conference will explore Yorkshire's place in a post-Brexit economy and how devolution to the region can ensure it plays its full part in driving future prosperity for the North and the UK.
The One Yorkshire conference, will take place on Friday 8 March, in Cloth Hall Court, Leeds. The one-day event, in partnership with think-tank, ResPublica and with support from Leeds Beckett University, will bring together leading national and regional figures who will discuss how a modern outward looking Yorkshire can build on its success to deliver even more for its communities and the UK.
The event will challenge assumptions and broaden the debate of Yorkshire's future, reflecting on the social and economic opportunity set out in the One Yorkshire devolution plan and consider ways to achieve this ambition.
Contributors will consider subjects including Yorkshire's economy, tackling inequality in the region and the opportunities of pan-Northern collaboration. Speakers will include:
- Cllr Carl Les, Leader of North Yorkshire County Council
- Cllr Judith Blake, Leader Leeds City Council
- Jake Berry MP, Minister for the Northern Powerhouse and Local Growth
- Kate Pickett, University of York, co-author of The Spirit Level
- Dan Jarvis MP, Sheffield City Region Mayor
- Robert Goodwill MP & John Grogan MP
- Prof. John Tomaney, University College London
Cllr Judith Blake, Leader of Leeds City Council and member of the Combined Authority, said: "This is a great opportunity to bring people together, to exchange ideas and discuss the opportunities and challenges for Yorkshire and the wider North of England as we prepare for a post-Brexit future."
Cllr Carl Les, Leader of North Yorkshire County Council, said: "Representing over one-fifth of the North's economic output, Yorkshire is fundamental to realising the Northern Powerhouse vision and this event will help shape the future of region, setting out a clear vision for what we want to achieve and how we get there."
Cllr Stephen Parnaby OBE, Leader of East Riding of Yorkshire Council, said: "With Brexit fast approaching, this is a timely moment to bring people together from across the region and beyond to discuss how we can move Yorkshire forward and secure future investment in this new landscape."
Dan Jarvis MP, Sheffield City Region Mayor, said: £Yorkshire is home to more than five million people and has an economy worth £112bn. Our region is already thriving and with the right support could do even more to deliver for its own communities and the UK as a whole. This event will help to demonstrate that."
Phillip Blond, Director of ResPublica, said: "ResPublica is delighted to support the delivery of what promises to be a thought-provoking event on the future of Yorkshire devolution. As Brexit nears, it is of utmost importance to discuss and exchange views on what would be the most sensible approach for achieving local growth."
For more information and to register your interest, please click here
Confirmed speakers include:
- The Rt Hon Jake Berry MP - Northern Powerhouse Minister
- Cllr Judith Blake - Leader, Leeds City Council
- Dan Jarvis - Mayor of Sheffield City Region and MP for Barnsley Central
- Kate Pickett - Professor of Epidemiology, University of York and Co-Founder and Trustee of the Equality Trust
- John Tomaney - Professor of Urban and Regional Planning in the Bartlett School of Planning, University College London
- Mark Rhodes - Professor of Financial Economics, Leeds Beckett University
- Cllr Susan Hinchcliffe - Chair, West Yorkshire Combined Authority
- Cllr Shabir Pandor - Leader, Kirklees Council
- Cllr Carl Les - Leader, North Yorkshire County Council
- Roger Marsh OBE - Chair, Leeds City Region Enterprise Partnership
- Cllr Ian Gillies - Leader, City of York Council
- James Mitchinson - Editor, Yorkshire Post
- Zandra Moore, Chief Executive, Panintelligence
- Lord Haskins - Chair, Humber LEP
- Tracey Lancaster - Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Leeds Beckett University
- Beckie Hart - Regional Director, CBI
- Cllr Peter Box - Leader, Wakefield Council and Chair, Key Cities
- Sarah Longlands - Director, IPPR North
- Robert Goodwill - MP for Scarborough and Whitby
- Nicky Chance-Thompson - CEO, The Piece Hall Trust
- Cllr Yvonne Peacock - Leader, Richmondshire Council
- Rashik Parmar - IBM
- Jo Miller - Chief Executive, Doncaster Council
- Ben Still, Managing Director, West Yorkshire Combined Authority
- Mary Weastell - Chief Executive, City of York Council
- Wallace Sampson - Chief Executive, Harrogate Borough Council
- Katie Schmuecker, Joseph Rowntree Foundation
- Kate Hainsworth - Leeds Community Foundation
- Clair Mowbray - Chief Executive, National College for High Speed Rail
- Richard Stubbs - CEO, Yorkshire and Humber Health Science Alliance
- Scott Dickinson - Associate, Steer