'Grey to Green' Economic Infrastructure
This scheme will provide new greenspace and public realm in the southern area of the city centre and Leeds South Bank area to improve walking and cycling connectivity for local communities, reducing reliance on motor vehicles. Land will be reclaimed from the highway that is being released following road improvements.
Four areas will be improved:
- Corn Exchange – The redevelopment of redundant highways land to create a welcoming green space, safer cycling routes, and pedestrian crossing points to help pedestrians to navigate through the space safely.
- Meadow Lane – A car park and surplus highway land will be released from the public highway to create an attractive public realm and greenspace that will provide enhanced connectivity in the city centre for a healthier more active travel experience and will form an entrance to the planned “Aire Park” on the former Tetley brewery site.
- Crown Point Road – Reduce Crown Point Road to a single lane road with green infrastructure in order to encourage vehicles to use the A61 Inner Ring Road. The carriageway space will be used to provide wider footpaths for pedestrians, loading bays, retention of the bus stop with a bus lay-by, a new bus shelter, a two-way cycleway and cycle parking. Construction also includes the provision of two new pedestrian crossings. This will provide improved connectivity between Aire Park and surrounding education facilities and transport hubs
- Sovereign Square – A new footbridge across the River Aire will be constructed to connect the North and South of Leeds City Centre, connecting South Bank to Leeds Station. The bridge will connect Concordia Street with Water Lane across the River Aire. The proposals also include cycling and walking links between the North and South bank.
This scheme is expected to achieve the following outputs:
- Create 123 construction jobs
- Unlock 1.4km road/cycle lanes/walkways unlocked
- Reduce emissions by 3,500,000kg of CO2 emissions
- Create 6,700 m2 of public realm/green space improved or created