Assistant Transport Planner - DV/TF16c
Grade H | £27,332 pa (pay award pending) | Location Leeds/Hybrid | Permanent | Full time (Up to 37 hours pw) | Applications for part time / job share will be considered | Closing date: 25 June2023
Assistant Transport Planner - DV/TF16c
Grade H | Salary £27,332 pa |
Location Leeds/Hybrid |
- Do you want to work for an organisation that values you as an individual?
- An organisation that will support your professional development?
- What about an organisation that has Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at the heart of everything that it does?
- How about an organisation that does all these things and more?
- Yes? Then look no further than the West Yorkshire Combined Authority! Listen to what our staff say on our 'Life at West Yorkshire Combined Authority' webpage.
We currently have a vacancy for an Assistant Transport Planner to join our Transport Partnerships team.
It is an exciting time to be joining the Mayoral Combined Authority. We have a wide variety of exciting projects that we are working on which will help shape the West Yorkshire region.
In 2021 the £1.8bn devolution deal was secured for West Yorkshire. This meant the first Mayor of West Yorkshire was subsequently elected, with Tracy Brabin taking up post in May 2021. The devolution deal and election of the Mayor has enabled us to start to drive up living standards for local communities while tackling the climate emergency and helping to deliver our commitment to become a net zero carbon city region by 2038.
To find out more about the work the Combined Authority is involved with take a look at our latest news stories.
Our transport planning team is growing, and we are looking for a person to join our team as a Transport Planner.
It’s an exciting time to be part of the Combined Authority with our Mayor we have new roles and responsibilities and an exciting set policies, strategies, bids, programmes and projects to develop and deliver.
The Leeds City Region has been successful in securing one of the largest Transforming Cities Fund awards in the country and we have new powers and funding since becoming a Mayoral Authority. It is an exciting and ambitious programme of transport infrastructure investments aimed at reducing reliance on car travel and increasing and improving infrastructure for public transport and cycling and walking. This programme is vital in meeting our commitment to tackle the climate emergency and become a net zero carbon city region.
You will provide technical transport planning assistance within the Combined Authority’s Delivery directorate, as well as with our Delivery Partners. You will support our progress towards to becoming carbon neutral by 2038, through the implementation of our regional policy priorities, Transport Strategy, and major transport schemes across several programmes.
Reporting into the Transport Planner, you will have the opportunity to join a dedicated and enthusiastic Transport Planning team which is responsible for developing the details of projects from concept level to design stage, through undertaking and coordinating feasibility studies and consultation exercises, while liaising with partner authorities and key stakeholders.
The key responsibilities are but not limited to:
- working with policy and strategy on developing a new pipeline of schemes.
- providing specialist transport planning assistance to internal colleagues and partner organisations, ensuring transport projects and initiatives are designed to realise the core priorities of the Leeds City Region, maximise benefits and deliver value for money.
- supporting the development of major transport scheme business cases in line with our established Assurance Framework requirements, including key activities such as design quality compliance, consultation and engagement with transport users and key stakeholders.
- supporting data collection, evidence, and analysis for use in the appraisal of projects, development of business cases and preparation of funding bids. This will include identifying and applying proportionate, standard and bespoke approaches to data specification, collection, analysis and interpretation.
- to assist in the design, execution and analysis of technical transport surveys and other data collection techniques including GIS data maps and specialist modelling packages to develop optimal, affordable and effective projects.
Review the Role profile provided for more information about the responsibilities.
You will have the following key skills, attributes, education and experience:
- Ideally you should be educated to degree level (or equivalent work experience) in a relevant subject.
- You should have a keen interest and understanding of local transport policy and delivery issues, including current legal, financial, and political context in which local public transport is delivered.
- Demonstrate commitment to corporate processes, priorities and team objectives ensuring that they are always delivered.
- Be a proactive, visible and enthusiastic team member, encouraging partnership working with colleagues, peers and customers.
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer an excellent benefits package including:
- 28 days Annual Leave (increasing upon years of service) plus bank holidays
- Generous Employer-Contribution Pension Scheme
- Free Travel on rail and buses across West Yorkshire with the M-Card (Zones 1-5)
- Flexible Working Practices with Health & Wellbeing initiatives to ensure you achieve the best work/life balance and career goals.
We have also recently undergone a major office refurbishment and have bright, airy, modern office space, with all latest technology, and just a 2-minute walk from Leeds Railway Station. We also have agile working options too if you would rather work from home, or another suitable location, as well as a generous flexi-time scheme.
Have a look at our Employee Benefits webpage to find out more.
If this sounds like your next role, please upload your anonymised CV, and complete the application form on our application website telling us why you would be a great fit for our role.
Please apply by 11:55pm on Sunday 25 June 2023.
The Combined Authority is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We know through experience that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better outcomes. We welcome applications irrespective of people's age, disability, neuro-divergence, sex, gender identity and gender expression, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity. or other personal circumstances. We have policies and procedures in place to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly and consistently at every stage of the recruitment process, including the consideration of reasonable adjustments for people who have a disability and/or who are neuro-divergent. To find out more about inclusivity at the West Yorkshire Combined Authority please visit our dedicated webpage.
Applicants with a disability are guaranteed an interview, subject to the minimum criteria being met.
Whilst agile working is an option for most staff, there is an expectation that employees are able to attend the office in central Leeds as and when required.
Candidates will be notified of invitation to interview by e-mail and interviews will be carried out either by phone, video or face to face. If you have any difficulty with the type of interview you are invited to, please inform the recruiting manager at your earliest convenience to enable them to consider an alternative solution.
Please note that whilst it is our policy to recruit at SP1 for all appointments, which is the salary stated above, each role includes career salary progression, with incremental increases applicable in most cases, on an annual basis.
Due to the high volumes of applications we receive, we are unfortunately unable to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that on this occasion your application has not been successful. We do however thank you for your application and encourage you to continue looking for roles on our Careers with Us website page.
Candidate information will be retained by the Combined Authority for six months.
Terms and conditions
The West Yorkshire Combined Authority has recently been in consultation with employees and Trade Unions to review the Terms and Conditions of Employment and Staff Benefits.
We are pleased to announce that these proposals have been accepted and work is currently underway to implement these.