Innovation Growth Manager – Ref: ES/B3a
Salary: Grade K £36,315 per annum - Leeds City Centre with travel across West Yorkshire (currently working remotely) - Permanent - 37 hours per week - Closing Date – Wednesday 14th April 2021
Innovation Growth Manager
Grade K - £36,315 pa
Leeds City Centre (currently working remotely)
Closing date 14 April 2021
West Yorkshire Combined Authority is seeking to appoint an Innovation Growth Manager to join our Business Support team.
At the West Yorkshire Combined Authority we bring together local councils and businesses through the Leeds City Region Enterprise Partnership (LEP), that ensures that our work meets the needs of employers and residents so that everyone in our region can benefit from economic prosperity supported by a modern, accessible transport network, housing and digital connections.
It is an exciting time to be joining the Combined Authority, following the announcement of a £1.8bn devolution deal that has been secured for West Yorkshire. Devolution will enable us to drive up living standards for local communities while tackling the climate emergency and help deliver our commitment to become a net zero carbon city region by 2038.
This is a key function within the team – providing support and guidance to businesses within the region to facilitate and improve their innovation capability and capacity, signposting to the most appropriate support available, providing support where identified as appropriate and service the needs of the ERDF funded programme – Connecting Innovation to best benefit regional business.
Reporting into the Senior Service Manager (Innovation), your key responsibilities will include:
- Proactively engage SMEs with potential for innovation, productivity and growth. Progress these opportunities using own initiative and explore optimal ways to support SME growth through the delivery of innovation support and guidance.
- Be a key client manager for the provision of innovation support, from initial innovation diagnostic through to the identification of appropriate solutions. Where appropriate this will include providing guidance around a specific solution, together with project scoping, constructing robust applications against strict criteria; managing brokered relationships with innovation specialists, guiding and assisting through the procurement process, presenting to grant appraisal panel on behalf of clients and writing grant appraisal reports to present to senior management.
- Identify, develop and continually improve strategic relationships with internal and external stakeholders within research, education, innovation specialists and private sector.
- Be an active advocate and champion for SME innovation within and outside the Leeds City Region.
- Ensure the CI programme continually meets the needs of SMEs in Leeds City Region and that outputs, outcomes and expenditure targets are met.
Please review at the role profile provided for more information about the responsibilities.
You will have the following key skills, attributes and experience but not be limited to:
- Educated to degree level or has equivalent relevant experience and possess experience in innovation, business support or business consultancy.
- Experience of relationship management, managing multiple projects, and of the application of consultative approach to meetings.
- Extensive practical experience of SME business drivers, priorities and issues, particularly in relation to innovation and research and development.
- In depth knowledge of emerging technologies, key sectors/cluster strengths, and the economic profile of Leeds City Region
Understanding of EU funding including the implications on procurement regulations, outputs, eligibility and financial monitoring
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer an excellent benefits package including:
- 28 Days Holiday plus bank holidays
- Free Travel on rail and buses with the M-Card zones 1-5 (currently under review)
- Generous Employer-Contribution Pension Scheme
- Flexible Working Practises with Health & Wellbeing initiatives to ensure you achieve the best work/life balance and career goals.
Applicants are advised that the Combined Authority is currently in consultation with employees and Trade Unions to review the Terms and Conditions of Employment and Staff Benefits. The detail of the proposals for change, will be discussed with the successful candidate at the point of offer.
If this sounds like your next role; please upload your CV to our online application tool. Then complete the supporting information tab linking your relevant work experience back to the role profile, bringing you CV to life.
You can apply online, by 11:55pm on 14 April 2021
We anticipate interviews to be carried out on Wednesday 5th and Thursday 6th May 2021.
For more information about this role, please contact Louise Bermingham (Senior Service Manager – Innovation) email@example.com
The post is part-funded by the England European Regional Development Fund as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020 and the Northern Powerhouse Growth Deal.
Applicants with a disability are guaranteed an interview, subject to the minimum criteria being met.
The Combined Authority’s aim is to attract people from diverse backgrounds to build on our inclusive culture and represent the communities we serve. We welcome applications from everyone regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
We are committed to inclusivity and will consider requests for flexible working including part time and job share arrangements.
Candidates will be notified of invitation to interview by e-mail and interviews will be carried out either by phone or video interview.
Please note that whilst it is our policy to recruit at SP1 for all appointments, which is the salary stated above, each role includes career salary progression, with incremental increases applicable in most cases, on an annual basis.
Due to the high volumes of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Candidate information will be retained by the Combined Authority for six months unless you make a request for this to be deleted.
Terms and conditions
Applicants are advised that the Combined Authority is currently in consultation with employees and Trade Unions to review the Terms and Conditions of Employment and Staff Benefits.
The detail of the proposals for change, will be discussed with the successful candidate at the point of offer.