Lawyer (Governance) Ref: R/L10
Lawyer (Governance) - Grade L - Salary £40,113 - Permanent - Full Time (37 hours per week) - Leeds City Centre (currently remote) - Closing date 30 September 2020
Grade L - Salary £40,113
Permanent - Full Time (37 hours per week)
Leeds City Centre (currently remote)
Closing date 30 September 2020
Click here to apply
We are seeking to appoint a Governance Lawyer in our Legal Team. It is an exciting time to join the West Yorkshire Combined Authority as a Lawyer, as we are changing our governance arrangements to be ready for the first Mayor for West Yorkshire who will be elected in 2021.
At the WYCA we bring together local councils and businesses through the Leeds City Region Enterprise Partnership (LEP), this ensures that our work meets the needs of employers and residents so that everyone in our region can benefit from economic prosperity supported by a modern, accessible transport network, housing and digital connections while tackling the climate emergency and help deliver our commitment to become a net zero carbon city region by 2038.
Reporting to the Lead Lawyer Mayoral Combined Authority (MCA) Governance, your key responsibilities will include:
- Developing, drafting and implementing changes to our governance arrangements which deliver political objectives within a legal framework, and promote efficient decision-making, openness and accountability.
- Advising and providing training to elected Members and officers on governance issues, including decision-making arrangements and ethical standards
Please read the Lawyer Governance role profile before applying for this post.
You will be a qualified Solicitor, Barrister or FCILEx with (but not limited to) the following key skills, attributes and experience:
- Experience of providing legal advice on local government governance issues,
- Have strong communication skills,
- Experience of forming effective working relationships with senior officers and elected Members, to achieve the best outcomes.
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer an excellent benefits package including:
- 28 Days Holiday plus bank holidays
- Generous Employer-Contribution Pension Scheme,
- Free Travel on rail and buses with the M-Card,
- Flexible Working Practises with Health & Wellbeing initiatives to ensure you achieve the best work/life balance and career goals.
If this sounds like your next role, please upload your CV to our online application tool telling us why you would be a great fit for our role. To apply for this role, upload your CV and covering letter click here by 11:55pm on 30 September 2020.
For further information about the role, please contact Liz Davenport on email@example.com
Applicants with a disability are guaranteed an interview, subject to the minimum criteria being met.
The Combined Authority’s aim is to attract people from diverse backgrounds to build on our inclusive culture and represent the communities we serve. We welcome applications from everyone regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
We are committed to inclusivity and will consider requests for flexible working including part time and job share arrangements.
Candidates will be notified of invitation to interview by e-mail and interviews will be carried out either by phone or video interview.
Please note that whilst it is our policy to recruit at SP1 for all appointments, which is the salary stated above, each role includes career salary progression, with incremental increases applicable in most cases, on an annual basis. The annual pay award for the financial year 2020/21 is still pending and will be applied to the salary structure as appropriate once confirmed.
Due to the high volumes of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Candidate information will be retained by the Combined Authority for six months unless you make a request for this to be deleted.