Lawyer (Property, Planning and CPO) - CS/LGS7
Grade L | £43,937 pa | Location Leeds | Permanent | Full time (up to 37 hours pw) | Applications for part time / job share will be considered | Closing date: 10 April 2023
Lawyer (Property, Planning and CPO) - CS/LGS7
Grade L | £43,937 pa |
Location Leeds |
- Do you want to work for an organisation that values you as an individual?
- An organisation that will support your professional development?
- What about an organisation that has Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at the heart of everything that it does?
- How about an organisation that does all these things and more?
- Yes? Then look no further than the West Yorkshire Combined Authority! Listen to what our staff say on our 'Life at West Yorkshire Combined Authority' webpage.
We currently have a vacancy for a Lawyer (Property, Planning and CPO) to join our Legal & Governance Services team.
It is an exciting time to be joining the Mayoral Combined Authority. We have a wide variety of exciting projects that we are working on which will help shape the West Yorkshire region.
In 2021 the £1.8bn devolution deal was secured for West Yorkshire. This meant the first Mayor of West Yorkshire was subsequently elected, with Tracy Brabin taking up post in May 2021. The devolution deal and election of the Mayor has enabled us to start to drive up living standards for local communities while tackling the climate emergency and helping to deliver our commitment to become a net zero carbon city region by 2038.
To find out more about the work the Combined Authority is involved with take a look at our latest news stories.
Reporting into the Principal Lawyer (Property, Planning & CPO), the key responsibilities are but not limited to:
- All aspects of property, planning and compulsory purchase law in relation to both the Authority’s own land and property portfolio (including bus stations) and to ensure the successful delivery of projects, programmes and schemes across a wide ranging remit including further education, housing and regeneration;
- Support the property team in their role, in respect of responsibilities around the implementation and delivery of major transport schemes, ensuring sound commercial acumen and full statutory compliance, and providing or overseeing the provision of legal advice in relation to the project delivery including the application of the Transport and Works Act requirements (or equivalent), land acquisition and construction contracts, and further engage proactively and effectively with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders including senior officers, Directors, members and government officials in order to most effectively deliver the Combined Authority’s Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) project to completion and implementation.
- Draft, negotiate and interpret all related property documentation including heads of terms; leases, licenses, transfers, overage agreements and charges.
Review the Role profile provided for more information about the responsibilities.
You will have the following key skills, attributes, education and experience:
- You will have an excellent track record of providing pro-active, customer focused and authoritative legal advice and support in relation to this function of commercial property law, including advising on large scale projects preferably within a public sector or transport environment.
- Knowledge of the legislative framework of related functions including planning law (including Transport and Works Act Orders), compulsory purchase law, public law and subsidy control.
- You will be a qualified Solicitor or Barrister with a current practicing certificate or full CILEX (fellowship) qualification.
- Whilst experience in the key responsibilities is desirable, we are happy to consider applicants who have transferrable skills and a strong work ethic to enable development into the role.
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer an excellent benefits package including:
- 28 days Annual Leave (increasing upon years of service) plus bank holidays
- Generous Employer-Contribution Pension Scheme
- Free Travel on rail and buses across West Yorkshire with the M-Card (Zones 1-5)
- Flexible Working Practices with Health & Wellbeing initiatives to ensure you achieve the best work/life balance and career goals.
We have also recently undergone a major office refurbishment and have bright, airy, modern office space, with all latest technology, and just a 2-minute walk from Leeds Railway Station. We also have agile working options too if you would rather work from home, or another suitable location, as well as a generous flexi-time scheme.
Have a look at our Employee Benefits webpage to find out more.
If this sounds like your next role, please upload your anonymised CV, and complete the application form on our application website telling us why you would be a great fit for our role.
Please apply by 11:55pm on Monday 10 April 2023.
The Combined Authority is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We know through experience that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better outcomes. We welcome applications irrespective of people's age, disability, neuro-divergence, sex, gender identity and gender expression, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity. or other personal circumstances. We have policies and procedures in place to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly and consistently at every stage of the recruitment process, including the consideration of reasonable adjustments for people who have a disability and/or who are neuro-divergent. To find out more about inclusivity at the West Yorkshire Combined Authority please visit our dedicated webpage.
Applicants with a disability are guaranteed an interview, subject to the minimum criteria being met.
Whilst agile working is an option for most staff, there is an expectation that employees are able to attend the office in central Leeds as and when required.
Candidates will be notified of invitation to interview by e-mail and interviews will be carried out either by phone, video or face to face. If you have any difficulty with the type of interview you are invited to, please inform the recruiting manager at your earliest convenience to enable them to consider an alternative solution.
Please note that whilst it is our policy to recruit at SP1 for all appointments, which is the salary stated above, each role includes career salary progression, with incremental increases applicable in most cases, on an annual basis.
Due to the high volumes of applications we receive, we are unfortunately unable to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that on this occasion your application has not been successful. We do however thank you for your application and encourage you to continue looking for roles on our Careers with Us website page.
Candidate information will be retained by the Combined Authority for six months.
Terms and conditions
Applicants are advised that the Combined Authority is currently in consultation with employees and Trade Unions to review the Terms and Conditions of Employment and Staff Benefits.
The detail of the proposals for change, will be discussed with the successful candidate at the point of offer.