Mass Transit Design & Engineering Manager / PD/T2
Grade N - Salary £55,352 | Permanent / Full Time (37 hours pw) | Leeds City Centre (Temporarily Remote Working) | Closing Date - 10 October 2021
Mass Transit Design & Engineering Manager -PD/T2
Grade N - Salary £55,352pa
Leeds City Centre (currently working remotely)
Permanent/Full Time (37 hours pw)
Closing date - 10 October 2021
West Yorkshire Combined Authority are seeking an experienced engineer who can lead the design of deliverable, innovative, value for money, and integrated mass transit solutions, across a range possible technology options including Bus Rapid Transit, Light Rail, Ultra-Light Rail and Tram-Train.
It is an exciting time to be joining the Combined Authority, following the £1.8bn devolution deal and the election of our first Mayor of West Yorkshire. Devolution will enable us to drive up living standards for local communities while tackling the climate emergency and help deliver our commitment to become a net zero carbon city region by 2038. Our transition to a Mayoral Combined Authority also allows us access to a range of new funding opportunities, including a £4.2 billion fund which will potentially enable delivery of our mass transit proposals.
We bring together local councils and businesses, through the Leeds City Region Enterprise Partnership (LEP) ensure that our work meets the needs of employers so that everyone in our region can benefit from economic prosperity supported by a modern, accessible transport network, housing and digital connections.
Reporting into the Head of Transport and Mass Transit Development, your key responsibilities will include:
- Leading the development, certification and assurance of the design and engineering of the Mass Transit programme ensuring deliverable, innovative, value for money, and integrated mass transit solutions, across a range possible technology options including Bus Rapid Transit, Light Rail, Ultra-Light Rail and Tram-Train.
- Fostering a culture of integration, partnership and collaboration, applying best practice from UK and overseas into the Mass Transit design.
- Leading the design, engineering and systems workstream deliverables including modularisation, Depots, Power Supply/systems, Structures, Vehicle Technology, Permanent Way design, Asset Management, System Controls and Communications systems.
Review the Role profile provided for more information about the responsibilities.
You will have the following key skills, attributes, education and experience:
- A track record of success in management of multidiscipline engineering projects and teams in transportation, including light rail / bus rapid transit / tram-train / ultra light rail.
- A demonstrable track record of practical and successful experience of design management, engineering and construction management and integration and interface management with relevant qualifications.
- Experience of working in partnership with others including political members, suppliers, public and private organisations and residents.
- Experience of leading, managing and developing a high performing team
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer an excellent benefits package including:
- 28 Days Holiday plus bank holidays
- Free Travel on rail and buses with the M-Card zones 1-5
- Generous Employer-Contribution Pension Scheme
- Flexible Working Practises with Health & Wellbeing initiatives to ensure you achieve the best work/life balance and career goals.
If this sounds like your next role; please upload your CV to our online application tool. Then complete the supporting information tab linking your relevant work experience back to the role profile, bringing you CV to life.
You can apply online, by 11:55pm on 10 October 2021
Applicants with a disability are guaranteed an interview, subject to the minimum criteria being met.
The Combined Authority’s aim is to attract people from diverse backgrounds to build on our inclusive culture and represent the communities we serve. We welcome applications from everyone regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
We are committed to inclusivity and will consider requests for flexible working including part time and job share arrangements.
Candidates will be notified of invitation to interview by e-mail and interviews will be carried out either by phone or video interview.
Please note that whilst it is our policy to recruit at SP1 for all appointments, which is the salary stated above, each role includes career salary progression, with incremental increases applicable in most cases, on an annual basis.
Due to the high volumes of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Candidate information will be retained by the Combined Authority for six months unless you make a request for this to be deleted.
Terms and conditions
Applicants are advised that the Combined Authority is currently in consultation with employees and Trade Unions to review the Terms and Conditions of Employment and Staff Benefits.
The detail of the proposals for change, will be discussed with the successful candidate at the point of offer.