Policy Assistant - Place & Environment - PSC/T5pd
Grade H | £25,332 pa | Location Leeds | Permanent | Full time (up to 37 hours per week) Requests for part time / job share will be considered | Closing date: 24 July 2022
Policy Assistant - Place & Environment - PSC/T5pd
Grade: H £25,332 pa
Location: Leeds Bradford (hybrid/flexible working)
Full time | Applications will be considered on a part time/job share basis
Closing date: 24 July 2022
- Do you want to work for an organisation that values you as an individual?
- An organisation that will support your professional development?
- What about an organisation that has Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at the heart of everything that it does?
- How about an organisation that does all these things and more?
- Yes? Then look no further than the West Yorkshire Combined Authority! Listen to what our staff say by visiting our Life at West Yorkshire Combined Authority page
We are looking for an exceptional individual to be a key member of the Place and Environment policy team, working across disciplines within that team.
It is an exciting time to be joining the Combined Authority, following the announcement of a £1.8bn devolution deal that has been secured for West Yorkshire and the arrival of the new West Yorkshire Mayor Tracy Brabin in May 2021. The mayor’s pledges included building 5000 sustainable homes, tackling the climate emergency and protecting the environment, driving up living standards and making sure that the progress we make is fair and inclusive.
You will contribute to agendas including housing, regeneration, green and blue infrastructure, energy and environment, urban design, spatial planning, flood risk management and digital infrastructure. You will help us achieve our commitment to become a net zero carbon city region by 2038, to develop a place-based approach to our policy and pipeline development activity and to work in partnership with our five local authorities to secure inclusive growth for the people and communities of West Yorkshire.
To find out more about the work the Combined Authority is involved with take a look at our latest news stories.
You will be working with planning, housing, design and environment colleagues to support the development of policy and programmes including a new regional housing strategy, delivery of our West Yorkshire Climate and Environment Plan, flood risk management, digital infrastructure, development of Spatial Priority Areas and building pipelines of funding-ready schemes across all areas.
There is significant scope to tailor this role to meet the successful applicant’s professional development goals.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Provision of project management and technical support to Policy Managers across the team – for instance, to design new policies and strategies, projects and programmes, to drive our place and environment agenda across West Yorkshire, to support our approach to supporting development of strategic sites and to provide responses to government consultations
- Ownership of specific areas of work commensurate with the role grade
- Secretariat function for meetings and committees relating to the team
- Working with a range of partners – e.g. local authorities, housing associations, government agencies and private sector organisations
- Providing general support to the Head of Place and Environment on activity related to the team
Review the Role profile provided for more information about the responsibilities.
You will have the following skills, attributes and experience:
- Strong understanding of policy and programme development, ideally within a planning, housing or environment context but not essential.
- Experience and capability of managing stakeholder relationships.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Experience of working collaboratively in a team.
- Ability to work on own initiative.
Please review the role profile provided for more information about these responsibilities. For more information about the work of the West Yorkshire Combined Authority please visit www.westyorks-ca.gov.uk
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer an excellent benefits package including:
- 28 days Annual Leave (increasing upon years of service) plus bank holidays
- Generous Employer-Contribution Pension Scheme
- Free Travel on rail and buses across West Yorkshire with the M-Card (Zones 1-5)
- Flexible working practices with Health & Wellbeing initiatives to ensure you achieve the best work/life balance and career goals.
We have also recently undergone a major office refurbishment and have bright, airy, modern office space, with all latest technology, and just a 2-minute walk from Leeds Train Station. We also have agile working options too if you would rather work from home, or another suitable location, as well as a generous flexi-time scheme.
If this sounds like your next role, please upload your anonymised CV to our online application form telling us why you would be a great fit for our role.
For further information about the role, please contact the recruiting manager Alison Gillespie, Head of Place and Environment on 0113 3481110 email@example.com
Helen Forman, Head of Urban Design on 0113 3481063
Please apply by 11:55pm on Sunday 24 July 2022.
The Combined Authority is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We know through experience that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better outcomes. We welcome applications irrespective of people's age, disability, neuro-divergence, sex, gender identity and gender expression, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity. or other personal circumstances. We have policies and procedures in place to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly and consistently at every stage of the recruitment process, including the consideration of reasonable adjustments for people who have a disability and/or who are neuro-divergent. To find out more about inclusivity at the West Yorkshire Combined Authority please visit our dedicated webpage.
Applicants with a disability are guaranteed an interview, subject to the minimum criteria being met.
Candidates will be notified of invitation to interview by e-mail and interviews will be carried out either by phone, video or face to face. If you have any difficulty with the type of interview you are invited to, please inform the recruiting manager at your earliest convenience to enable them to consider an alternative solution.
Please note that whilst it is our policy to recruit at SP1 for all appointments, which is the salary stated above, each role includes career salary progression, with incremental increases applicable in most cases, on an annual basis.
Due to the high volumes of applications we receive, we are unfortunately unable to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that on this occasion your application has not been successful. We do however thank you for your application and encourage you to continue looking for roles on our Careers with Us website page.
Candidate information will be retained by the Combined Authority for six months unless you make a request for this to be deleted.
Terms and conditions
Applicants are advised that the Combined Authority is currently in consultation with employees and Trade Unions to review the Terms and Conditions of Employment and Staff Benefits.
The detail of the proposals for change, will be discussed with the successful candidate at the point of offer.