Policy Manager - Transport Development - PSC/E5td
Grade M, Salary £47,695 | Permanent / Full time (37 hours per week) | Leeds City Centre (Temporarily Remote) | Closing Date - 26 September 2021
Policy Manager - Transport Development - PSC/E5td
Grade M - Salary £47,695 pa
Leeds City Centre (currently working remotely)
Permanent / full time (37 hours per week)
Closing date - 26 September 2021
West Yorkshire Combined Authority are seeking to appoint a Policy Manger to join our Policy and Development team to play a valuable role in shaping the future of transport in West Yorkshire by developing initiatives from concepts into a transformational and deliverable set of transport schemes.
West Yorkshire Combined Authority is now responsible for the delivery of the £1.8 billion devolution deal for West Yorkshire and is the home of the newly elected West Yorkshire Mayor, Tracy Brabin, the first woman to be elected as a Metro Mayor. It is an exciting time to join our brilliant and unique organisation, tasked with improving our region and the lives of its residents.
Devolution will enable us to drive up living standards for local communities while tackling the climate emergency and help deliver our commitment to become a net zero carbon city region by 2038.
We have engaged on an ambitious Connectivity Infrastructure Plan to make our transport system much easier, both to use and to understand. So easy in fact that taking quick, joined-up journeys through walking and cycling and public transport becomes second nature for us all.
We have identified a range of options, informed by our evidence, to create an integrated network bringing walking and cycling, rail, bus and a new mass transit system together. We now need to develop these options into a prioritised pipeline and make progress on scheme design and business cases.
As a Mayoral Authority we have access to a new 5-year City Region Sustainable Transport Fund with a share of at least £4.2bn to be agreed this year. There are also other funding opportunities through the spending round on bus and cycling and walking. This is therefore a great to time to be joining the CA to develop the pipeline into a robust and deliverable set of schemes and secure a great funding deal for West Yorkshire.
Reporting into the Head of Transport and Mass Transit Development your key responsibilities will include:
- The development of a pipeline of transport programmes and interventions to further the region’s ambitions to tackle the climate emergency, create inclusive growth and create great places to live and work.
- Working closely with our District partners and existing CA teams to develop the early stage business cases for schemes that cover all transport modes and initiatives to increase the use of public transport and active travel in particular.
- Secure investment from Government
- Support projects as they go into delivery championing quality and the realisation of policy objectives.
We are currently going through a restructure and the new Head of Transport and Mass Transit Development is currently being recruited. This new team will increase our resource on transport development so the priorities above may change and can reflect the skill sets of the successful applicant.
We have created a single Transport & Economic Policy and Development team working across a range of diverse and interrelated disciplines so if priorities change there will be opportunities to work on other topics across transport or economic policy.
Review the Role profile provided for more information about the responsibilities.
You will have the following key skills, attributes, education and experience
- Experience of managing and developing a pipeline including scheme identification and prioritisation.
- Extensive experience of business case development for complex projects with experience of transport appraisal desirable.
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to interpret and communicate insights fluently to a range of audiences.
- Experience of working with a range of stakeholders, including being comfortable working with politicians and senior leaders
- The ability to develop new solutions and ideas to complex and challenging issues particularly reducing carbon emissions from transport and promoting inclusive growth.
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer an excellent benefits package including:
- 28 Days Holiday plus bank holidays
- Free Travel on rail and buses with the M-Card zones 1-5
- Generous Employer-Contribution Pension Scheme
- Flexible Working Practises with Health & Wellbeing initiatives to ensure you achieve the best work/life balance and career goals.
If this sounds like your next role; please upload your CV to our online application tool. Then complete the supporting information tab linking your relevant work experience back to the role profile, bringing you CV to life.
You can apply online, by 11:55pm on 26 September 2021
Applicants with a disability are guaranteed an interview, subject to the minimum criteria being met.
The Combined Authority’s aim is to attract people from diverse backgrounds to build on our inclusive culture and represent the communities we serve. We welcome applications from everyone regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
We are committed to inclusivity and will consider requests for flexible working including part time and job share arrangements.
Candidates will be notified of invitation to interview by e-mail and interviews will be carried out either by phone or video interview.
Please note that whilst it is our policy to recruit at SP1 for all appointments, which is the salary stated above, each role includes career salary progression, with incremental increases applicable in most cases, on an annual basis.
Due to the high volumes of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Candidate information will be retained by the Combined Authority for six months unless you make a request for this to be deleted.
Terms and conditions
Applicants are advised that the Combined Authority is currently in consultation with employees and Trade Unions to review the Terms and Conditions of Employment and Staff Benefits.
The detail of the proposals for change, will be discussed with the successful candidate at the point of offer.