Policy Manager - Transport Strategy - PSC/E5ts
Grade M, Salary £47,695 | Permanent / Part Time (2 days per week) | Leeds City Centre (Temporarily Remote) | Closing Date - 26 September 2021
Policy Manager - Transport Strategy PSC/E5ts
Grade M - Salary £47,695 pa
Leeds City Centre (currently working remotely)
Permanent / Part Time (2 days per week)
Closing date - 26 September 2021
West Yorkshire Combined Authority are seeking to appoint a Policy Manger to join our Policy and Development team to play a valuable role in shaping the future of transport in West Yorkshire by developing policies and strategies that will enable transport concepts to be developed and transformed into a deliverable set of transport schemes.
West Yorkshire Combined Authority is now responsible for the delivery of the £1.8 billion devolution deal for West Yorkshire and is the home of the newly elected West Yorkshire Mayor, Tracy Brabin, the first woman to be elected as a Metro Mayor. It is an exciting time to join our brilliant and unique organisation, tasked with improving our region and the lives of its residents.
In 2017 we published our West Yorkshire Transport Strategy 2040 and this was followed earlier this year by an engagement on an ambitious Connectivity Infrastructure Plan to make our transport system much easier, both to use and to understand.
Devolution and the implementation of the Transport Strategy will enable us to drive up living standards for local communities while tackling the climate emergency and help deliver our commitment to become a net zero carbon city region by 2038.
Reporting into the Head of Transport Policy your key responsibilities will include:
- Development of strategies and policies that support the delivery of the West Yorkshire Transport Strategy.
- Working closely with our District partners and CA teams to support the implementation of the Transport Strategy
- Secure investment from Government
- Oversee the monitoring of the delivery of the West Yorkshire Transport Strategy
- Provide policy assurance as projects move into early-stage business case development
We have created a single Transport & Economic Policy and Development team working across a range of diverse and interrelated disciplines so if priorities change there will be opportunities to work on other topics across transport or economic policy.
Review the Role profile provided for more information about the responsibilities.
You will have the following key skills, attributes, education and experience:
- Experience of developing policies and strategies and supporting implementation plans
- Experience of working with a range of stakeholders, including being comfortable working with politicians and senior leaders
- Experience of managing external consultants
- The ability to develop new solutions and ideas to complex and challenging issues particularly reducing carbon emissions from transport and promoting inclusive growth.
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer an excellent benefits package including:
- 28 Days Holiday plus bank holidays
- Free Travel on rail and buses with the M-Card zones 1-5
- Generous Employer-Contribution Pension Scheme
- Flexible Working Practises with Health & Wellbeing initiatives to ensure you achieve the best work/life balance and career goals.
If this sounds like your next role; please upload your CV to our online application tool. Then complete the supporting information tab linking your relevant work experience back to the role profile, bringing you CV to life.
You can apply online, by 11:55pm on 26 September 2021.
Applicants with a disability are guaranteed an interview, subject to the minimum criteria being met.
The Combined Authority’s aim is to attract people from diverse backgrounds to build on our inclusive culture and represent the communities we serve. We welcome applications from everyone regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
We are committed to inclusivity and will consider requests for flexible working including part time and job share arrangements.
Candidates will be notified of invitation to interview by e-mail and interviews will be carried out either by phone or video interview.
Please note that whilst it is our policy to recruit at SP1 for all appointments, which is the salary stated above, each role includes career salary progression, with incremental increases applicable in most cases, on an annual basis.
Due to the high volumes of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Candidate information will be retained by the Combined Authority for six months unless you make a request for this to be deleted.
Terms and conditions
Applicants are advised that the Combined Authority is currently in consultation with employees and Trade Unions to review the Terms and Conditions of Employment and Staff Benefits.
The detail of the proposals for change, will be discussed with the successful candidate at the point of offer.