Portfolio Manager (Assurance) - D/P7e
Grade K | £36,951 pa | Location Leeds | Permanent | Full time (up to 37 hours per week) Requests for part time / job share will be considered | Closing date: 10 July 2022
Portfolio Manager (Assurance) - D/P7e
Grade: K £36,951 pa
Location: Leeds (some working remotely)
Full time | Applications will be considered on a part time / job share basis
Closing date: 10 July 2022
- Do you want to work for an organisation that values you as an individual?
- An organisation that will support your professional development?
- What about an organisation that has Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at the heart of everything that it does?
- How about an organisation that does all these things and more?
- Yes? Then look no further than the West Yorkshire Combined Authority! Listen to what our staff say by visiting our Life at West Yorkshire Combined Authority page
We currently have a vacancy for a Portfolio Manager (Assurance) to join our Portfolio Management and Appraisal team.
It is an exciting time to be joining the Mayoral Combined Authority. We have a wide variety of exciting projects that we are working on which will help shape the West Yorkshire region.
In 2021 the £1.8bn devolution deal was secured for West Yorkshire. This meant the first Mayor of West Yorkshire was subsequently elected, with Tracy Brabin taking up post in May 2021. The devolution deal and election of the Mayor has enabled us to start to drive up living standards for local communities while tackling the climate emergency and helping to deliver our commitment to become a net zero carbon city region by 2038.
Do you want to play a leading role in reshaping our local economy and forging better futures for millions of people?
That’s precisely what is on offer at the Combined Authority where an exciting opportunity has arisen for a project assurance manager who can have an influence on the £2bn of funding being invested in the Leeds City Region and which is at the forefront of the Government’s Northern Powerhouse delivery agenda.
To find out more about the work the Combined Authority is involved with take a look at our latest news stories.
The West Yorkshire Combined Authority’s Portfolio Management and Appraisal Team (PMA) oversees the £1bn+ portfolio of programmes and projects. These schemes are either delivered directly by the Combined Authority or through one of our partner organisations (in the public and private sector). Whichever the delivery route, the PMA has responsibility for ensuring that only schemes which meet the strategic aims of the organisation and have a robust strategic, commercial, economic, financial and management case are developed and delivered, and they are carried out within the agreed time, cost, and quality framework.
The programmes which the Combined Authority promotes and funds, and which inform the portfolio overseen by the Assurance Team of the PMA, cover a broad range and include infrastructure schemes covering transport, housing, regeneration, clean growth, as well as digital connectivity and business support.
We are seeking a professional and enthusiastic portfolio manager to join the Assurance Team of the PMA.
Reporting into the Portfolio Lead, the key responsibilities are but not limited to:
- Developing, implementing, and maintaining the necessary processes, controls and governance to support portfolio delivery across the Combined Authority and partners in accordance with the Assurance Framework.
- Management of the Programme Appraisal Team (PAT) meetings and the reporting of papers to the respective thematic Committee and Combined Authority Board to support the timely decision making by senior stakeholders.
- Ensuring appropriate quality assurance processes are in place and adhered to.
- Liaising with stakeholders/programme managers and scheme promoters to ensure programmes and project progress through the Assurance Framework in a timely manner
This is an ideal development opportunity for someone looking to develop their skills in portfolio management/stakeholder management and report writing skills and to gain further understanding and experience of the work that the Portfolio Management and Appraisal teams carry out.
Review the Role profile provided for more information about the responsibilities.
This role offers an excellent opportunity for a candidate who has experience in portfolio assurance and/or assurance of programmes or projects. Alternatively, we would welcome applications from candidates who have a track record of successful project delivery or experience in the assurance, governance or management of projects and as a result could apply their skills within the Combined Authority’s Portfolio Management and Appraisal (PMA) team.
You will have the following key skills, attributes, education and experience:
- Educated or experienced to Degree level in a relevant field or relevant demonstrable practical experience.
- Hold a relevant professional qualification in portfolio, programme or project management (e.g. PRINCE2 Practitioner, MSP Practitioner, APM).
- Practical experience of successfully performing in a similar role.
- Understanding of programme and project management methodologies, including risk, issue, cost and quality management, benefits realisation and evaluation.
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer an excellent benefits package including:
- 28 days Annual Leave (increasing upon years of service) plus bank holidays
- Generous Employer-Contribution Pension Scheme
- Free Travel on rail and buses across West Yorkshire with the M-Card (Zones 1-5)
- Flexible working practices with Health & Wellbeing initiatives to ensure you achieve the best work/life balance and career goals.
We have also recently undergone a major office refurbishment and have bright, airy, modern office space, with all latest technology, and just a 2-minute walk from Leeds Train Station. We also have agile working options too if you would rather work from home, or another suitable location, as well as a generous flexi-time scheme.
If this sounds like your next role, please upload your anonymised CV to our online application form telling us why you would be a great fit for our role.
Please apply by 11:55pm on Sunday 10 July 2022.
The Combined Authority is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We know through experience that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better outcomes. We welcome applications irrespective of people's age, disability, neuro-divergence, sex, gender identity and gender expression, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity. or other personal circumstances. We have policies and procedures in place to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly and consistently at every stage of the recruitment process, including the consideration of reasonable adjustments for people who have a disability and/or who are neuro-divergent. To find out more about inclusivity at the West Yorkshire Combined Authority please visit our dedicated webpage.
Applicants with a disability are guaranteed an interview, subject to the minimum criteria being met.
Candidates will be notified of invitation to interview by e-mail and interviews will be carried out either by phone, video or face to face. If you have any difficulty with the type of interview you are invited to, please inform the recruiting manager at your earliest convenience to enable them to consider an alternative solution.
Please note that whilst it is our policy to recruit at SP1 for all appointments, which is the salary stated above, each role includes career salary progression, with incremental increases applicable in most cases, on an annual basis.
Due to the high volumes of applications we receive, we are unfortunately unable to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that on this occasion your application has not been successful. We do however thank you for your application and encourage you to continue looking for roles on our Careers with Us website page.
Candidate information will be retained by the Combined Authority for six months unless you make a request for this to be deleted.
Terms and conditions
Applicants are advised that the Combined Authority is currently in consultation with employees and Trade Unions to review the Terms and Conditions of Employment and Staff Benefits.
The detail of the proposals for change, will be discussed with the successful candidate at the point of offer.