Programme Assistant - D/I20j
Grade H | £27,332 pa | Location Leeds | Permanent | Full time (up to 37 hours pw) | Applications for part time / job share will be considered | Closing date: 2 April 2023
Programme Assistant - D/I20j
Grade H | £27,332 pa |
Location Leeds |
- Do you want to work for an organisation that values you as an individual?
- An organisation that will support your professional development?
- What about an organisation that has Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at the heart of everything that it does?
- How about an organisation that does all these things and more?
- Yes? Then look no further than the West Yorkshire Combined Authority! Listen to what our staff say on our 'Life at West Yorkshire Combined Authority' webpage.
We currently have a vacancy for 4 Programme Assistants to join our Transport Policy and Delivery Directorate.
It is an exciting time to be joining the Mayoral Combined Authority. We have a wide variety of exciting projects that we are working on which will help shape the West Yorkshire region.
In 2021 the £1.8bn devolution deal was secured for West Yorkshire. This meant the first Mayor of West Yorkshire was subsequently elected, with Tracy Brabin taking up post in May 2021. The devolution deal and election of the Mayor has enabled us to start to drive up living standards for local communities while tackling the climate emergency and helping to deliver our commitment to become a net zero carbon city region by 2038.
To find out more about the work the Combined Authority is involved with take a look at our latest news stories.
Reporting into the Programme / Project Manger, within our Transport Partnerships or Transforming Cities Fund teams, the successful candidate will support in the delivery of complex projects, as well as taking responsibility for smaller scale projects and initiatives.
The Transport Partnerships team works closely with our West Yorkshire district partners to deliver projects and programmes across a variety of funding sources. This includes the West Yorkshire plus Transport Fund, the City Region Sustainable Transport Settlement, and the Active Travel Fund.
The Transforming Cities Fund team also works closely with West Yorkshire district partners, aiding them in the delivery of sustainable and active travel schemes. Projects range from the delivery of new bus and railway stations to segregated cycle highways, promoting a modal shift from private vehicle use - helping reach net zero targets and improving the transport network across the Leeds City Region.
The key responsibilities are but not limited to:
- Supporting the management of relationships with partner councils to drive forward delivery of a range of ambitious projects and programmes.
- Administer Programme and Project Boards, including the establishment and maintenance of programme and project management documentation.
- Determine, administer, and monitor expenditure profiles for various schemes within the Programme.
The ‘Critical Success Factors’ section of the Role Profile sets out the typical responsibilities of a Programme Assistant.
Review the Role profile provided for more information about the responsibilities.
You will have the following key skills, attributes, education and experience:
- Proactive, with excellent communication skills, and an ability to build strong partnership relationships.
- Relevant programme administrative background
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to specify and manage tasks and deadlines.
- An understanding of delivering projects within a PRINCE2 environment is desirable but not essential.
This is an ideal career development opportunity for individuals looking to progress into project and programme management roles and gain experience in working on projects alongside supportive teams.
As a step towards becoming the project managers of the future, we will support individuals with structured development plans. We also provide opportunity to undertake formal training in areas such as Project Management, subject to available places and funding, to help fast track your career.
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer an excellent benefits package including:
- 28 days Annual Leave (increasing upon years of service) plus bank holidays
- Generous Employer-Contribution Pension Scheme
- Free Travel on rail and buses across West Yorkshire with the M-Card (Zones 1-5)
- Flexible Working Practices with Health & Wellbeing initiatives to ensure you achieve the best work/life balance and career goals.
We have also recently undergone a major office refurbishment and have bright, airy, modern office space, with all latest technology, and just a 2-minute walk from Leeds Railway Station. We also have agile working options too if you would rather work from home, or another suitable location, as well as a generous flexi-time scheme.
Have a look at our Employee Benefits webpage to find out more.
If this sounds like your next role, please upload your anonymised CV, and complete the application form on our application website telling us why you would be a great fit for our role.
Please apply by 11:55pm on Sunday 2 April 2023.
The Combined Authority is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We know through experience that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better outcomes. We welcome applications irrespective of people's age, disability, neuro-divergence, sex, gender identity and gender expression, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity. or other personal circumstances. We have policies and procedures in place to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly and consistently at every stage of the recruitment process, including the consideration of reasonable adjustments for people who have a disability and/or who are neuro-divergent. To find out more about inclusivity at the West Yorkshire Combined Authority please visit our dedicated webpage.
Applicants with a disability are guaranteed an interview, subject to the minimum criteria being met.
Whilst agile working is an option for most staff, there is an expectation that employees are able to attend the office in central Leeds as and when required.
Candidates will be notified of invitation to interview by e-mail and interviews will be carried out either by phone, video or face to face. If you have any difficulty with the type of interview you are invited to, please inform the recruiting manager at your earliest convenience to enable them to consider an alternative solution.
Please note that whilst it is our policy to recruit at SP1 for all appointments, which is the salary stated above, each role includes career salary progression, with incremental increases applicable in most cases, on an annual basis.
Due to the high volumes of applications we receive, we are unfortunately unable to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that on this occasion your application has not been successful. We do however thank you for your application and encourage you to continue looking for roles on our Careers with Us website page.
Candidate information will be retained by the Combined Authority for six months.
Terms and conditions
Applicants are advised that the Combined Authority is currently in consultation with employees and Trade Unions to review the Terms and Conditions of Employment and Staff Benefits.
The detail of the proposals for change, will be discussed with the successful candidate at the point of offer.