Programme Development Lead (Housing) PD/P4h
Grade L | £41,937 pa | Location Leeds| Permanent | Full time (up to 37 hours per week) Requests for part time / job share will be considered | Closing date: 24 July 2022
Policy and Development Lead (Housing) PD/P4h
Grade: L £41,937 pa
Location: Leeds (hybrid, flexible working))
Full time/ Applications will be considered on a part time / job share basis
Closing date: 24 July 2022
- Do you want to work for an organisation that values you as an individual?
- An organisation that will support your professional development?
- What about an organisation that has Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at the heart of everything that it does?
- How about an organisation that does all these things and more?
- Yes? Then look no further than the West Yorkshire Combined Authority! Listen to what our staff say by visiting our Life at West Yorkshire Combined Authority page
We currently have a vacancy for an experienced Policy Officer to join our Place and Environment Policy team.
It is an exciting time to be joining the Combined Authority, following the announcement of a £1.8bn devolution deal and first year of the West Yorkshire Mayor Tracy Brabin’s election to lead the MCA. The Mayor has placed housing at the heart of her priorities, pledging to build 5,000 sustainable and affordable new homes in West Yorkshire.
Devolution will enable us to drive up living standards for local communities while tackling the climate emergency and help deliver our commitment to become a net zero carbon city region by 2038. Developing bold policies and strategies to drive the economy forward and support individuals has never been so important.
The Combined Authority brings together the five West Yorkshire local authorities with businesses via the Leeds City Region Enterprise Partnership to ensure that our work meets the needs of the people and businesses in the region and we can achieve our vision to be globally recognised as a place with a strong, successful economy where everyone can build great businesses, careers and lives supported by a superb environment and world-class infrastructure.
To find out more about the work the Combined Authority is involved with take a look at our latest news stories.
We are at an exciting stage in the development of a West Yorkshire strategic housing pipeline. As part of the devolution deal we have already allocated £3.2million housing revenue funding (HRF) to support and provide additional capacity to accelerate and prepare projects to be investment ready for entry into capital investment programmes. We need someone who can work within this complex landscape to manage the further development of the programme, helping us drive forward this unique opportunity to accelerate the delivery of high quality homes in West Yorkshire.
We are looking to appoint a lead officer to prepare the programme for further extension of the existing revenue programme and continue development of the pipeline. Reporting to the Head of Housing at the West Yorkshire Combined Authority you will work with district senior officers, policy managers and consultancy teams to deliver a programme of work across a range of housing projects, particularly focussing on:
- Supporting the development of a specific projects within the strategic housing pipeline
- Supporting district partners with additional capacity and resource to accelerate delivery of housing in West Yorkshire
- Managing the work packages, monitoring delivery of the commissioned work to support the development of the pipeline
- Reporting and monitoring impact and progress on budgets and revenue spend to the Housing Revenue Fund Programme Board
- Working closely with colleagues in the Delivery Directorate where suitable projects enter capital funding programmes such as Brownfield Housing Fund
- Collaborating with Homes England colleagues where projects require inter-agency funding to bring development forward
Line manage and work closely with a Policy Coordinator to manage and monitor the revenue programme
Review the Role profile provided for more information about the responsibilities.
As this is a dynamic and active programme we are looking for someone who can hit the ground running and maintain the momentum already established through the current programme. Ideally you already have experience in developing pipelines, managing programmes and budgets, working with a variety of partners including districts, developers, housing associations, consultants and capital investment colleagues including Homes England.
You will have the following key skills, attributes, education and experience:
- Experience in a similar role including experience of developing and delivering housing and/or regeneration policies/strategies/programmes
- Demonstratable knowledge and experience of delivering a range of technical housing or regeneration projects and programmes
- Experience of developing significant funding packages to deliver projects and programmes for housing developments
- Significant experience of acting as a senior technical advisor and champion on matters relating to housing and regeneration
- Significant experience of managing your own time with the ability to use initiative and solve problems quickly
- Experienced at establishing and supporting partnerships and long-term relationship with key regional partners
- Experience of leading the development and delivery of corporate approaches to improve internal process or procedures and drive better outcomes
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer an excellent benefits package including:
- 28 days Annual Leave (increasing upon years of service) plus bank holidays
- Generous Employer-Contribution Pension Scheme
- Free Travel on rail and buses across West Yorkshire with the M-Card (Zones 1-5)
- Flexible working practices with Health & Wellbeing initiatives to ensure you achieve the best work/life balance and career goals.
We have also recently undergone a major office refurbishment and have bright, airy, modern office space, with all latest technology, and just a 2-minute walk from Leeds Train Station. We also have agile working options too if you would rather work from home, or another suitable location, as well as a generous flexi-time scheme.
If this sounds like your next role, please upload your anonymised CV to our online application form telling us why you would be a great fit for our role.
If you would like to discuss these roles, after reading the role profile please contact: Judith Furlonger, Head of Housing Judith.email@example.com
Please apply by 11:55pm on Sunday 24 July 2022.
The Combined Authority is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We know through experience that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better outcomes. We welcome applications irrespective of people's age, disability, neuro-divergence, sex, gender identity and gender expression, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity. or other personal circumstances. We have policies and procedures in place to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly and consistently at every stage of the recruitment process, including the consideration of reasonable adjustments for people who have a disability and/or who are neuro-divergent. To find out more about inclusivity at the West Yorkshire Combined Authority please visit our dedicated webpage.
Applicants with a disability are guaranteed an interview, subject to the minimum criteria being met.
Candidates will be notified of invitation to interview by e-mail and interviews will be carried out either by phone, video or face to face. If you have any difficulty with the type of interview you are invited to, please inform the recruiting manager at your earliest convenience to enable them to consider an alternative solution.
Please note that whilst it is our policy to recruit at SP1 for all appointments, which is the salary stated above, each role includes career salary progression, with incremental increases applicable in most cases, on an annual basis.
Due to the high volumes of applications we receive, we are unfortunately unable to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that on this occasion your application has not been successful. We do however thank you for your application and encourage you to continue looking for roles on our Careers with Us website page.
Candidate information will be retained by the Combined Authority for six months unless you make a request for this to be deleted.
Terms and conditions
Applicants are advised that the Combined Authority is currently in consultation with employees and Trade Unions to review the Terms and Conditions of Employment and Staff Benefits.
The detail of the proposals for change, will be discussed with the successful candidate at the point of offer.