Programme Development Lead (Strategic Sites) PS/P4pd
Grade L| £41,937 pa | Location Leeds | Permanent | Full time (up to 37 hours per week) Requests for part time / job share will be considered | Closing date: 24 July 2022
Programme Development Lead Strategic Sites - PS/P4pd
Grade: L, £41,937 pa
Location: Leeds (hybrid/flexible working)
Full time / Applications will be considered on a part time / job share basis
Closing date: 24 July 2022
- Do you want to work for an organisation that values you as an individual?
- An organisation that will support your professional development?
- What about an organisation that has Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at the heart of everything that it does?
- How about an organisation that does all these things and more?
- Yes? Then look no further than the West Yorkshire Combined Authority!
West Yorkshire Combined Authority are seeking to appoint an experienced officer to join our Place and Environment policy team.
It is an exciting time to be joining the Combined Authority, following the announcement of a £1.8bn devolution deal that has been secured for West Yorkshire and the arrival of the new West Yorkshire Mayor Tracy Brabin in May 2021. The mayor’s pledges included building 5000 sustainable homes, tackling the climate emergency and protecting the environment, driving up living standards and making sure that the progress we make is fair and inclusive.
The Combined Authority brings together the five West Yorkshire local authorities with businesses via the Leeds City Region Enterprise Partnership to ensure that our work meets the needs of the people and businesses in the region and we can achieve our vision to be globally recognised as a place with a strong, successful economy where everyone can build great businesses, careers and lives supported by a superb environment and world-class infrastructure.
This post is an opportunity to take a lead role in place-based programme development and strategic sites in West Yorkshire. Working in the planning team your role will be to drive forward our vision and plans to develop a place-based approach to our policy and pipeline development activity, working in partnership with local authorities to unlock sites for development and to secure inclusive growth for the people and communities of West Yorkshire.
To find out more about the work the Combined Authority is involved with take a look at our latest news stories.
Reporting into the Head of Planning Coordination and Strategic Sites your responsibilities will include:
- Taking a lead role across West Yorkshire and within the Combined Authority on pipeline development and strategic sites including advising on the use of Mayoral powers secured through devolution.
- Working with a range of partners to support our approach to Spatial Priority Areas requiring codesign and delivery of new policies, strategies, projects and programmes and seeking funding opportunities.
- Working in close partnership with local authorities to unlock sites for development including identifying barriers such as land remediation and putting together cases for investment.
- Provide leadership and coordinate activity aligned to key sites working across the organisation. This role will interface with internal teams working on land and assets, inward investment and delivery (primarily transport and economic implementation).
- Supporting the Combined Authority, LEP Board and Place Committee to drive our place and environment agenda across West Yorkshire.
- Providing strategic direction, leadership, and day to day support to other team members as required.
- You will be part of a well-established team with expertise in place on Housing, Urban Design, Strategic Networks (flood and digital) and Energy and Environment. And part of a wider policy and development directorate with expertise in Transport, Business, Innovation, Skills and Culture.
Review the Role profile provided for more information about the responsibilities.
You will have the following key skills, attributes, education and experience:
- Experience in a similar role including experience of developing and delivering planning, housing and/or regeneration policies/strategies
- Demonstratable knowledge and experience of delivering a range of technical planning, housing or regeneration projects and programmes
- Experience of developing significant funding packages to deliver projects and programmes for strategic employment and / or housing developments
- Significant experience of acting as a senior technical advisor and champion on matters relating to planning, housing, regeneration, employment land and environmental sustainability issues
- Significant experience of managing your own time with the ability to use initiative and solve problems quickly
- Experienced at establishing and supporting partnerships and long-term relationship with key regional partners
- Experience of leading the development and delivery of corporate approaches to improve internal process or procedures and drive better outcomes
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer an excellent benefits package including:
- 28 days Annual Leave (increasing upon years of service) plus bank holidays
- Generous Employer-Contribution Pension Scheme
- Free Travel on rail and buses across West Yorkshire with the M-Card (Zones 1-5)
- Flexible Working Practises with Health & Wellbeing initiatives to ensure you achieve the best work/life balance and career goals.
We have also recently undergone a major office refurbishment and have bright, airy, modern office space, with all latest technology, and just a 2-minute walk from Leeds Train Station. We also have agile working options too if you would rather work from home, or another suitable location, as well as a generous flexi-time scheme.
If this sounds like your next role, please upload your anonymised CV to our online application form telling us why you would be a great fit for our role.
For further information about the role, please contact the recruiting manager Alison Gillespie, Head of Place and Environment on 0113 3481110 email@example.com
Please apply by 11:55pm on Sunday 24 July 2022.
Applicants with a disability are guaranteed an interview, subject to the minimum criteria being met.
The Combined Authority is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We know through experience that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better outcomes. We welcome applications irrespective of people's age, disability, neuro-divergence, sex, gender identity and gender expression, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity. or other personal circumstances. We have policies and procedures in place to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly and consistently at every stage of the recruitment process, including the consideration of reasonable adjustments for people who have a disability and/or who are neuro-divergent.
Whilst agile working is an option for most staff, there is an expectation that employees are able to attend the office in central Leeds as and when required.
Candidates will be notified of invitation to interview by e-mail and interviews will be carried out either by phone, video or face to face. If you have any difficulty with the type of interview you are invited to, please inform the recruiting manager at your earliest convenience to enable them to consider an alternative solution.
Please note that whilst it is our policy to recruit at SP1 for all appointments, which is the salary stated above, each role includes career salary progression, with incremental increases applicable in most cases, on an annual basis.
Due to the high volumes of applications we receive, we are unfortunately unable to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that on this occasion your application has not been successful. We do however thank you for your application and encourage you to continue looking for roles on our Careers with Us website page.
Candidate information will be retained by the Combined Authority for six months unless you make a request for this to be deleted.
Terms and conditions
Applicants are advised that the Combined Authority is currently in consultation with employees and Trade Unions to review the Terms and Conditions of Employment and Staff Benefits.
The detail of the proposals for change, will be discussed with the successful candidate at the point of offer.