Technical Security Manager - Ref: CS/I1
Grade L - Salary £40,113 pa (2020 pay award pending) 12 months Fixed Term Contract Full-time (37 hours per week) Based at home and Leeds City Centre Closing date – 31 August 2020
The West Yorkshire Combined Authority is seeking to strengthen the security of its IT systems, information and services by recruiting a Technical Security Manager for 12 months. The role will be focused on ensuring that the organisation’s technical and service arrangements are appropriately configured to best protect the organisations from cyber-attack and information loss.
The Technical Security Manager is a new role that will be the focal point for the management of technical security and improvement activity across Combined Authority. The successful candidate will have in-depth knowledge of IT security products, they will develop and maintain a proven, acceptable level of security across the organisation’s systems.
- Provide regular evidence that the organisation’s technical and service arrangements are appropriately configured and are operating as required.
- Lead on the development, technical implementation and enforcement of information security policies.
- Manage the external network to ensure robust monitoring and threat protection to minimise any potential for malware attack.
- Be the technical security lead on high profile projects and daily operations at a time of considerable change as the organisation prepares to become a Mayoral Combined Authority.
- Establish and maintain appropriate information security standards, policies and controls.
- Manage Microsoft 365 Security Center, Microsoft 365 Compliance Center and Azure security.
- Technically support and develop disaster recovery and capabilities.
- Conduct regular reviews and manage penetration tests to challenge systems, identify vulnerabilities and perform remedial actions to mitigate identified risks.
- Ensure that all operating system and application patching policies are appropriately applied and are fit for purpose, and any issues are speedily addressed.
- Design and implement an information security management system to operate in a consistent manner across the organisation.
- In-depth knowledge of IT security products, systems and applying security best practice.
- Technical experience of Microsoft 365 and Azure security.
- A strong working knowledge of security standards and methodologies such as ISO27001, COBIT, and ITIL and an understanding of relevant data protection legislation.
- In depth knowledge of the current threat landscape in terms of Information and Cyber Security.
- Experience of a broad range of ICT technologies including networking, hardware & infrastructure, operating systems and enterprise voice systems.
- Logical with an excellent grasp of technologies and current risks which organisations must address to build strong, resilient systems that protects data, systems and the wider organisation.
- Ability to demonstrate creative thinking and clear technical leadership in order to deliver agreed business outcomes and lead stakeholders though all stages of delivering complex ICT projects.
- Experience of working in partnership with stakeholders including suppliers, internal owners of key systems who are mostly non-technical people, public and private organisations.
- Ability to evaluate and develop new processes to deliver change management.
- Communicates as an authoritative subject matter expertise across all directorates.
The Combined Authority brings together districts partners, the business community via Leeds City Region Enterprise Partnership and also takes in the former Passenger Transport Executive (branded Metro). Overall, the Combined Authority covers a population of around 2.5 million people and represents the largest economy outside London.
For more information about the work of West Yorkshire Combined Authority please visit www.westyorks-ca.gov.uk
For internal candidates only
Secondment opportunities will be considered from internal candidates for this post, however, in line with the Combined Authority’s Secondments Policy, you must have 12 months’ service in your current role and seek permission from you current line manager before applying.
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer an excellent benefits package including:
- 28 Days Holiday plus bank holidays
- Generous Employer-Contribution Pension Scheme,
- Free Travel on rail and buses with the M-Card,
- Flexible Working Practises with Health & Wellbeing initiatives to ensure you achieve the best work/life balance and career goals.
The Combined Authority’s aim is to attract people from diverse backgrounds to build on our inclusive culture. We welcome applications from everyone regardless of age, race, gender, religion or beliefs, disability, gender identity or sexual orientation.
Applicants with a disability are guaranteed an interview, subject to the minimum criteria being met.
Please note: Whilst it is our policy to recruit at SP1 for all appointments, each role has career salary progression (SP1 – SP4 £40,113 - £46,446), with incremental increases applicable in most cases on an annual basis.
Please read the Technical Security Manager role profile before apply for this post.
You can then apply here
To submit your application form online please visit
http://www.westyorks-ca.gov.uk/jobs/ by 31 August 2020
Interviews will take place on 08 and 11 September 2020
Given the high volumes of applications we receive we are unable to respond to all applicants, therefore if you have not heard from us within 4 weeks of the closing date please assume that on this occasion you have not been successful.
Candidate information will be retained by West Yorkshire Combined Authority for 6 months unless you make a request for this to be deleted.