Transport Decarbonisation Policy Manager – PSC/E5/td1
Grade M | £48,530 pa | Location Leeds | Permanent | Full time (up to 37 hours per week) Requests for part time / job share will be considered | Closing date: 17 July 2022
Transport Decarbonisation Policy Manager – PSC/E5/td1
Grade: M - Salary £48,530 pa
Location: Leeds (flexible hybrid working)
Permanent / Full time (up to 37 hours per week) Applications will be considered on a part time/job share basis
Closing date: 17 July 2022
- Do you want to work for an organisation that values you as an individual?
- An organisation that will support your professional development?
- What about an organisation that has Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at the heart of everything that it does?
- How about an organisation that does all these things and more?
- Yes? Then look no further than the West Yorkshire Combined Authority! Listen to what our staff say by visiting our Life at West Yorkshire Combined Authority page
It is an exciting time to be joining the Combined Authority, following the announcement of a £1.8bn devolution deal that has been secured for West Yorkshire and the arrival of the new West Yorkshire Mayor Tracy Brabin. She has placed bus reform at the heart of her priorities, pledging to bring buses back into local control, introduce simpler fares, contactless ticketing and greener buses.
Devolution will enable us to drive up living standards for local communities while tackling the climate emergency and helping to deliver our commitment to become a net-zero carbon economy by 2038. Developing bold policies and strategies to drive the economy forward and support individuals has never been so important.
The Combined Authority brings together the five West Yorkshire local authorities with businesses via the Leeds City Region Enterprise Partnership to ensure that our work meets the needs of the people and businesses in the region, and we can achieve our vision to be globally recognised as a place with a strong, successful economy where everyone can build great businesses, careers and lives supported by a superb environment and world class infrastructure.
To find out more about the work the Combined Authority is involved with take a look at our latest news stories.
Transport has a significant role to play in tackling the climate emergency and helping us to deliver our commitment to be a net-zero carbon economy by 2038. The election of the region’s first Mayor and a need to address the climate emergency represents a unique set of circumstances that have provided the opportunity to shape how we develop transport policy and look to ensure it delivers benefits for the residents and businesses of West Yorkshire.
We are looking to appoint a permanent full-time Transport Decarbonisation Policy Manager to the Transport Policy team within the Combined Authority to work with internal colleagues, district partners and key stakeholders to develop and deliver future policy that will reduce the impact that transport has on the environment. The role will particularly focus on:
- Leading a team within the Transport Policy Team
- Leading the development of policy to reduce the impact that transport has on the environment, including developing policy and strategy on Electric Vehicles, future technology for bus, measures for demand management and modal integration
- Lead the development of the policy for transport affordability
- Working closely with transport providers, district partners and other key stakeholders to create a full partnership approach.
- Lead on engagement with the Mayor and Members on transport decarbonisation policy issues
Review the Role profile provided for more information about the responsibilities.
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual who can:
- lead a team
- work effectively with a range of stakeholders including being comfortable working with politicians and senior leaders
- have experience of developing policies and strategies and supporting implementation plans
- experience of managing external consultants
- Have the ability to develop new solutions and ideas to complex and challenging issues particularly reducing carbon emissions from transport and promoting inclusive growth.
- Applicants should have a degree in transport planning or a comparable degree.
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer an excellent benefits package including:
- 28 days Annual Leave (increasing upon years of service) plus bank holidays
- Generous Employer-Contribution Pension Scheme
- Free Travel on rail and buses across West Yorkshire with the M-Card (Zones 1-5)
- Flexible working practices with Health & Wellbeing initiatives to ensure you achieve the best work/life balance and career goals.
We have also recently undergone a major office refurbishment and have bright, airy, modern office space, with all latest technology, and just a 2-minute walk from Leeds Train Station. We also have agile working options too if you would rather work from home, or another suitable location, as well as a generous flexi-time scheme.
If this sounds like your next role, please upload your anonymised CV to our online application form telling us why you would be a great fit for our role.
If you would like to discuss this role after reading the role profile please contact:
Please visit our A Career With Us webpage for more information and details of how to apply.
Please apply by 11:55pm on Sunday 17 July 2022.
The Combined Authority is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We know through experience that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better outcomes. We welcome applications irrespective of people's age, disability, neuro-divergence, sex, gender identity and gender expression, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity. or other personal circumstances. We have policies and procedures in place to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly and consistently at every stage of the recruitment process, including the consideration of reasonable adjustments for people who have a disability and/or who are neuro-divergent. To find out more about inclusivity at the West Yorkshire Combined Authority please visit our dedicated webpage.
Applicants with a disability are guaranteed an interview, subject to the minimum criteria being met.
Candidates will be notified of invitation to interview by e-mail and interviews will be carried out either by phone, video or face to face. If you have any difficulty with the type of interview you are invited to, please inform the recruiting manager at your earliest convenience to enable them to consider an alternative solution.
Please note that whilst it is our policy to recruit at SP1 for all appointments, which is the salary stated above, each role includes career salary progression, with incremental increases applicable in most cases, on an annual basis.
Due to the high volumes of applications we receive, we are unfortunately unable to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that on this occasion your application has not been successful. We do however thank you for your application and encourage you to continue looking for roles on our Careers with Us website page.
Candidate information will be retained by the Combined Authority for six months unless you make a request for this to be deleted.
Terms and conditions
Applicants are advised that the Combined Authority is currently in consultation with employees and Trade Unions to review the Terms and Conditions of Employment and Staff Benefits.
The detail of the proposals for change, will be discussed with the successful candidate at the point of offer.