Remembering your Voter ID

You will need to show valid photo ID to vote at polling stations on 2 May. Acceptable forms of photo ID.

There are many different types of acceptable photo ID. 

On the day of voting, you will only be required to display one form of ID and it must be an original document. Documents which can be used as proof of ID include:  

  • A passport issued in the UK, or in the Channel Islands, Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or a Commonwealth country  
  • An Irish passport card 
  • A driving licence or provisional licence issued in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man 
  • A Blue badge
  • Government-funded travel passes (including an Older Person’s Bus Pass, Disabled Person’s Bus Pass, Oyster 60+ Card and more)
  • A PASS identity card giving proof of age 
  • A national identity card issued by an EEA state 
  • A Voter Authority Certificate or Anonymous Elector’s Document

You can still use your photo ID if it’s out of date, as long as it looks like you. The name on your ID should be the same name you used to register to vote.

If you don’t have an accepted form of photo ID 

You can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate through the Government website. The deadline to apply for free voter ID for the elections on Thursday 2 May is 5pm on Wednesday 24 April.