Leeds City Region HS2 Growth Strategy
Information about the Growth Strategy we have developed to get the best out of the HS2 development for the region
High Speed 2 (HS2) is a planned high speed railway designed to transform connectivity between our major cities, making it easier for businesses to locate across the Midlands and the North of England. This will help to rebalance the economy across the UK. An overview of the HS2 scheme can be found here.
Early construction work of HS2 Phase 1 has already commenced between London and Birmingham. With detailed planning already underway, construction of the line to Leeds is planned to start in 2024, with the line to open in 2033. Some services will terminate at an expanded Leeds Station and others will travel onto York Station.
Our region is growing and HS2 is vital to support the next steps in transforming our economy. With the arrival of HS2, it is vital that we plan how we can best distribute the economic benefits across the Region. The Leeds City Region HS2 Growth Strategy sets out how Leeds City Region will work with Government, businesses, schools, colleges and universities to maximise the benefits of HS2.
The Leeds City Region HS2 Growth Strategy includes six workstreams to transform the City Region economy:
Between Monday 15 January and Friday 2 March 2018, stakeholders and individuals were invited to comment on the strategy. These comments have now been analysed and the Leeds City Region HS2 Connectivity Strategy has been the first component to be updated.
The full engagement report and updated Connectivity Strategy can be found through the links below, as can the reports to Transport Committee which outline next steps.
- Engagement Report
- Growth Strategy Documents
- Committee Reports
Further background information around the Leeds City Region HS2 Growth Strategy can be found in the following committee reports:
- West Yorkshire Combined Authority: HS2 and Connectivity - 14 December 2017
- West Yorkshire Combined Authority: HS2 and Skills - 14 December 2017
- West Yorkshire Combined Authority: HS2 and Skills Appendix 1 - 14 December 2017
- Leeds City Council Executive Board - 13 December 2017
- Transport Committee Report May 2018: Leeds City Region HS2 Growth Strategy
- Transport Committee Report May 2018: Leeds City Region HS2 Connectivity Strategy
- Further information and contact details